The deceased first-year student of Jadavpur University was paraded naked in the corridor of the main hostel's second floor, minutes before he fell off from there leading to his death, Kolkata Police's initial probe has revealed. His lifeless body was discovered naked on the ground.
According to NDTV, investigators have also found that the teen was "sexually molested" and the arrested 12 people, including present and former students of the varsity, "had played active roles" in the entire episode leading to the teen's death, a senior police officer said on Tuesday.
"Probe also revealed that the arrested accused had planned to misdirect police so that the ragging part could be concealed," the officer added that a local court on Tuesday allowed their prayer to add Section 4 of WB Prohibition of Ragging in Educational Institutions Act 2000.
What Is The Incident?
1. At approximately 11:45 pm on August 9, the student fell from the second-floor balcony of the Main Hostel. The students residing in the 'A' block within the main university hostel rushed out of their rooms after they heard a thud. He was found lying in blood.
2. Sustaining several injuries, the student was admitted to KPC Medical College for treatment. Tragically, the student's injuries proved fatal, and he passed away around 4:30 am on the following Thursday.
3. The victim's uncle claimed that the night before his death, the 18-year-old had phoned his mother and expressed his discomfort. While talking to his mother, he expressed that he was feeling unwell. He had also conveyed his heightened state of fear.
4. His uncle said that the deceased urged his mother to come over quickly, hinting at having important matters to discuss. He further mentioned that shortly after, his nephew abruptly ended the call. Subsequently, when the mother attempted to reach out, he did not answer her call.
5. In relation to Kundu's alleged suicide and ragging, the Kolkata Police arrested a former student yesterday. The accused, Sourabh Chowdhury, had previously completed his MSc in Mathematics at Jadavpur University in 2022, yet opted to remain within the university hostel.
Police Investigation Underway
A senior police official revealed that during the interrogation, Sourabh Chowdhury admitted his participation in the ragging that led to the unfortunate incident. Subsequently, he was taken into police custody after confessing his culpability.
Chowdhury held a powerful position within the confines of the university's primary male hostel. It is worth mentioning that he exercised informal power as the head of the hostel's dining committee.
Politics Around The Incident
On August 11, the state human rights commission requested a report concerning the incident from both the Kolkata Police and JU authorities by August 24. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee personally called the victim's parents, providing them with assurances of comprehensive support.
Meanwhile, the occurrence has ignited a political tussle between the ruling Trinamool Congress (TMC) and the opposition, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
"Without backing from the administration, student unions wouldn't be able to sustain hazing practices in universities. Tragically, the student paid with his life. I pledge legal assistance to the family and stand by them in this time of sorrow," remarked Sukanta Majumdar, the state BJP president, in a tweet.
In response, the TMC promptly retaliated, alleging that the BJP is prone to blaming the state government for the slightest pretext.
Suggested Reading: Hyderabad Man Publicly Strips Woman In Presence Of His Mother