Upcoming films of favourite actors in India: The year 2021 has been dull and underwhelming from Hindi cinema’s perspective. A lot of films opted for an OTT release, as theatres remained shut down due to COVID-19 for the larger part of this year. However, barring a few like Sherni and Shershaah, most of the released films also failed to win over the audience. As the film industry continues to battle the constraints of COVID-19, finding ways to finish incomplete projects, the viewers are patiently waiting for their favourite stars to bring them some respite.
From Alia Bhatt to Deepika Padukone, Hindi cinema’s most sought after women actors have an impressive lineup of films ready. Some we will get to see this year, hopefully, whenever COVID-19 cases slow down, while others might opt for a 2022 release. Going by the trend, there is a chance that many upcoming films may opt for an OTT release in the last quarter of this year or the next.
No matter the size of the screen, many upcoming films seem to promise us interesting subjects, dynamic characters and stunning visuals, all backed up by our Hindi film heroines. So here are some movies that we are really looking forward to:
1. Alia Bhatt’s Gangubai Kathiawadi: This magnum-opus biopic based on the life of a brothel owner by the same name has been ready for release for quite some time now. Directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, the film was supposed to have a theatrical release in July this year. However, like Kangana Ranaut’s Thalaivii, its makers decided to postpone the release due to the pandemic. While there is no clarity over when the film will come out now, what’s certain is that Gangubai Kathiawadi team is still aiming for a release in cinemas.
Check out its teaser here:
2. Taapsee Pannu’s Shabaash Mithu: Perhaps the first biopic based on an Indian woman cricketer, Shabaash Mithu will see Pannue essay the role of ace batswoman Mithali Raj, who is the highest run-scorer in women’s international cricket. While Pannu will also be seen in another sports drama named Rashmi Rocket, we are curious to see if Pannu will be able to pull off Raj’s technical expertise with perfection, or not.
3. Kareena Kapoor Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha: Currently on a break due to maternity, Khan will be seen opposite Aamir Khan in his upcoming film Laal Singh Chaddha, an adaptation of hit English film Forrest Gump, featuring Tom Hanks. The film is set for a Christmas release as of now.
4. Vidya Balan’s Jalsa: In August this year, Balan began shooting for her next film Jalsa, which also features Shefali Shah. The film marks her reunion with director Suresh Triveni, with whom Balan had last worked in the 2017 film Tumhari Sulu. Jalsa is scheduled to release in 2022 and will also feature actors Rohini Hattangadi, Iqbal Khan, Vidhatri Bandi, Gurpal Singh and Surya Kasibhatla. It will also have a special appearance by Manav Kaul.
5. Deepika Padukone’s untitled project with Shakun Batra: Just last month, Padukone finished filming her part for an upcoming film by Shakun Batra. Since the director’s last two films- Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu and Kapoor & Sons were pretty well received, this untitled project has built high expectations. Another reason to look forward to this film is its cast. Apart from Padukone, the film also features, Ananya Panday and Siddhanth Chaturvedi.
6. Kangana Ranaut’s Dhaakad: Ranaut saw the release of her J Jayalalithaa biopic this month, after numerous hiccups. But the actor is not with 2021 it seems. She has two more films in the pipeline Dhaakad and Tejas. We are looking forward to Dhaakad, directed by Razneesh Ghai, as it will see Ranaut in the role of a special agent. Indian audience has been long deprived of a woman-centric action-thriller, packed with impressive stunts. Thus high hopes are pinned to this film.
7. Katrina Kaif’s Phone Bhoot: Touted to be India’s answer to the Ghostbusters series, Phone Bhoot will feature Katrina Kaif alongside Siddhant Chaturvedi and Ishaan Khatter. The horror-comedy is being helmed by director Gurmeet Singh.
8. Kiara Advani’s Bhool Bhulaiyya 2: Riding on the love and adulation that she received for Shershaah, Advani will next be seen in Bhool Bhulaiyya 2. A sequel to Priyadarshan’s hit horror-comedy Bhool Bhulaiyya, this upcoming film is led by Kartik Aryan and also features Tabu in a key role.
9. Radhika Apte’s Forensic: Apte will team up with Haseen Dillruba actor Vikrant Massey for a crime thriller titled Forensic. The film will be directed by Vishal Furia who also helmed the web series Criminal Justice, which featured Massey along with Pankaj Tripathi. The thriller is expected to go on floors next year.
10. Taapsee Pannu’s Blurr: Pannu recently wrapped her first film as a producer. Titled Blurr, the psychological thriller also features actor Gulshan Devaiah and has been directed by Ajay Bahl.
11. Alia Bhatt’s Darlings: Another A-lister who has turned producer this year is Alia Bhatt, whose first production venture is a movie named Darlings. Co-produced by Shah Rukh Khan’s banner Red Chillies, the film features Bhatt and Shefali Shah in the lead, along with Vijay Varma and Roshan Matthew. The film has been directed by Jasmeet K Reen.
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.