Sophia Cheung death case: A Hong Kong-based influencer died after she lost her balance while hiking near Tsing Dai Stream on Saturday (July 10) with some friends. 32-year-old Sophia Cheung, an Instagram influencer, was on a trip to Ha Pak Lai, a park popular among hikers.
Setting off for the hike at 11 am that day, Cheung was believed to have slipped while taking a selfie and subsequently fell into the 16 feet deep pool below at around 5 pm, according to a New York Post report. The young Instagrammer’s friends reportedly called emergency medical services. She was rushed to the hospital but, according to the local news portal HK01, she was pronounced dead on arrival.
Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern hospital authority confirmed the news to news outlets in a statement, “It is confirmed that a 32-year-old woman has been sent to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital and was certified dead at HK time 7:59pm on 10 July.”
Here are ten things we know about Sophia Cheung death case:
1. Cheung was a well-known influencer whose Instagram is full of posts from her many trips of hiking, trekking, kayaking and the challenging landscapes she visited. Her last picture was posted on July 9, in which she can be seen posing on the shore of a beach. Her caption reads, “Better days are coming. They are called Saturday and Sunday.”
2. Her love for hiking is what prompted her to have her username as “hike.Sophia” as on Instagram. As per her bio, the young explorer loved to be active. Some of her interests included kayaking, exploring, and doing any sort of outdoor activities. At the same time, Cheung had a keen interest in photography.
3. Often, she went to extreme measures for scenic Instagram posts featuring daredevil stunts. In one such picture, she can be seen hanging from the steep cliff of a mountain. She shared the post with the caption: “If you never try, you never know.”
4. She enjoyed over 17,000 followers on the social media platform and regularly shared photos of her everyday life on Instagram. Many have left their condolences under the picture, with one person writing, “I thought better days are coming with Saturday and Sunday? I will miss your chat every day. I love you always. Rest in peace my pretty Sofia.”
5. She had previously also hiked to Sunset Peak, Tai To Yan, and Pineapple mountain in Hong Kong.
6. At the time of her passing, Cheung had 97 posts on her Instagram page, many of them tagged to various places in and around Hong Kong. Her Instagram page was relatively new as the first picture that she uploaded was from February this year.
7. As per The Sun, Cheung had visited Hong Kong’s Ha Pak Lai along with two of her friends and decided to take a picture at the Tsing Dai stream near Yuen Long. While doing so, reportedly lost her footing and fell into the 16-foot pool below.
8. Following the fall, Cheung was then transported via helicopter to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan, where she was pronounced dead.
9. Her philosophy for living life was “Life should be fun not dumb” as reads her Instagram bio. Read more about here.
10. Cheung is not the first person to die while trying to take a selfie. According to a report from the Sun, a whopping number of 330 people have died while trying to take selfies on excursions.
Feature Image Credit: Sofia Cheung/Instagram