For a long time, any interest shown by women in cricket was always scoffed at. However, the current Indian Women’s cricket team is proof that no, cricket is not a sport restrained by gender. We did not get a Mithali Raj in a day, it took years of struggle to get to a place of honour she has reached to.
The 39-year-old Mithali Raj is a trailblazer who inspired many young girls to pick up a cricket bat and stand tall. Today, December 3 is the birthday of the cricketer who set multiple records and is decorated with many awards.
Mithali Raj Birthday: To get to this place, Raj has overcome many hurdles on the way. Here is a look at some of the major milestones of her career:
- On September 21 this year, she completed 20,000 career runs. Not only that, she is the first Indian woman to have over 1,000 world cup runs. She is fifth in the world to do the same.
- In July this year, she reemerged as the number 1 player in ICC Women’s ODI player for the eighth time. The first time she came on the list was in 2005 after she scored 91 runs against New Zealand in Potchefstroom. After that match, she said, “You can’t win the match sitting out in the dugout.”
- Not just on the lists, she created history by becoming the first Indian batswoman to score 10,000 international runs and also became the most capped female player in the history of international cricket.
- Born to a Tamil family at Jodhpur in Rajasthan, she later grew up in Hyderabad where she started cricket coaching with her elder brother. Her life story is not just jaw-dropping inspiration but also magnificent. For that, a film is also being made. The planning of Sabaash Mithu began in 2019 and recently it has been wrapped up and all ready for post-production. In the film, Taapsee Pannu will be playing Mithali Raj. The film is going to release on February 4, 2022.
- When talks about a feature film on her life began, she said, “Hoping that this movie inspires more people, especially young girls to take up the sports as a career.”
How were you inspired by Mithali Raj?