In the long-running legal battle between Meghan Markle and The Mail on Sunday, there has been some new revelations. The publication had recently filed a rebuttal to overturn the ruling given a High Court in regards to its publication of a letter written by Meghan Markle to her father.
Markle had sued the newspaper’s publisher, Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) for publishing five articles that allegedly had “personal and private” information about her and a letter she had written to her father Thomas Markle in August 2018. Earlier this year, the High Court ruling came in favour of Markle as ANL’s publication of the letter was ruled unlawful. The court also directed that there is no need for trial but ANL disagreed and challenged the ruling.
As per a report by the Independent UK, Meghan Markle apologised to the court for forgetting to inform that she had asked an aide to brief the authors of an unauthorised biography about her and her husband Prince Harry. Jason Knauf, Harry and Meghan’s former communications secretary provided information to one Ms Scobie and Ms Durand. Knauf in his statement said that the said book was being “discussed on a routine basis” directly with the duchess multiple times in person and over email.
He also said that Markle had briefed him to share her background to the authors including information about how she did not have much contact with her half-siblings while growing up.
According to the former aide, the duke replied: “I totally agree that we have to be able to say we didn’t have anything to do with it.”
“Equally, you giving the right context and background to them would help get some truths out there.”
Meghan Markle Apology:
Meghan Markle in her public statement said, “I accept that Mr Knauf did provide some information to the authors for the book and that he did so with my knowledge, for a meeting that he planned for with the authors in his capacity as communications secretary.
“The extent of the information he shared is unknown to me.”
“When I approved the passage…I did not have the benefit of seeing these emails and I apologise to the court for the fact that I had not remembered these exchanges at the time.” She said that she was not aware of the email exchange before. She also said that she was pregnant last year and was asked to avoid stress after her miscarriage.
Meghan said: “I was in the first trimester of my third pregnancy at the time, having suffered a miscarriage a few months prior, and was feeling very unwell.
“My doctor advised me to avoid stress, particularly given the recent miscarriage days after the defendant threatened to break the confidentiality of the original ‘sources’ for the People magazine article, which resulted in my having to make an urgent application for an anonymity order.”
Watch Trending Video Now: