Aamir Khan Kiran Rao relationship: Actor Aamir Khan and filmmaker Kiran Rao announced their divorce on Saturday, July 3 in a joint statement. They had been married for 15 years. The couple however confirmed that they would co-parent their son, Azad Rao Khan, and would continue with their professional partnership on Paani Foundation and other projects. The statement also said that they separated ‘some time ago’.
Kiran Rao was actor Aamir Khan’s second wife. He was previously married to Reena Dutta, with whom he had two children- Ira and Junaid. Khan and Dutta had parted ways in 2002, with later taking the custody of their children.
From working together on the sets of film Lagaan, to having a son via surrogacy, here’s a timeline of Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao’s relationship:
- Kiran Rao and Aamir Khan met on the sets of Lagaan in 2001. Rao was an assistant director of this Aamir Khan film. Reportedly, it was only after Khan’s divorce with Reena Dutta that the two met again, working on other projects and and eventually getting into a relationship.
- Aamir Khan got divorced from his first wife Reena Dutta in 2002. After that he started dating Rao. Reportedly, the two of them were in a live-in relationship and after a year and a half of staying together, they got married in 2005.
- In Dec 2011, Khan and Rao became parents to a son, Azad Rao Khan. He was named after the former President of India, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. Their son was born through surrogacy.
- In 2016, the couple established Paani Foundation. It is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation active in the area of drought prevention and watershed management in the state of Maharashtra. Satyajit Bhatkal is the CEO of this organisation.
- On Saturday July 3, 2021 Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao announced their separation. A statement released jointly by the couple said, “In these 15 beautiful years together we have shared a lifetime of experiences, joy and laughter, and our relationship has only grown in trust, respect and love. Now we would like to begin a new chapter in our lives – no longer as husband and wife, but as co-parents and family for each other.”
- The statement also said that they began a planned separation some time ago but now felt comfortable to formalise the arrangement. They will live separately yet share their lives just like an extended family does. “We remain devoted parents to our son Azad, who we will nurture and raise together,” they added.
Here’s How Twitter Reacted To Aamir Khan-Kiran Rao’s Divorce
Looking Back At Aamir Khan And Kiran Rao’s Love Story
Top 10 Highlights From Aamir Khan-Kiran Rao Divorce Statement
Kiran Rao-Aamir Khan Announce Divorce: Would Like To Begin New Chapter In Our Lives