Aamir Khan-Kiran Rao Divorce Statement: Actor Aamir Khan and filmmaker Kiran Rao, who have been together for 15 years have announced their divorce in a joint statement. The two first met on the set of the film Lagaan, where Khan was the lead actor and producer of the film and Rao was the assistant director. They married in 2005 and went on to welcome their son Azad Rao Khan later via surrogacy. Khan and Rao said that they will continue to take care of their son together and will also work on projects they feel passionate about.
Here are 10 highlights from Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao divorce statement:
- Calling their years together “beautiful” Khan and Rao said they had shared a lifetime of experiences, joy and laughter.
- They said that their relationship has only grown in trust, respect and love.
- Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao said that they would now like to begin a new chapter in their lives- no longer as husband and wife, but as co-parents and family for each other.
- They said that they had begun panning separation some time ago.
- Khan and Rao added that they ” now feel comfortable to formalise this arrangement, of living separately yet sharing our lives the way an extended family does.”
- They said they remain devoted parents to their son Azad, who they will nurture and raise together.
- The joint statement also revealed that Khan and Rao will continue to work as collaborators on films, Paani Foundation, and other projects that they feel passionate about.
- Both of them have also thanked their families and friends for their constant support and understanding about this evolution in their relationship.
- Khan and Rao have also requested their well wishers for good wishes and blessings.
- “Like us – you will see this divorce not as an end, but as the start of a new journey,” added their satement.