US Mother Loses All Four Limbs After Consuming Uncooked Fish

A US woman has lost all four of her limbs after contracting a bacterial infection, reportedly stemming from the consumption of undercooked tilapia fish

Pavi Vyas
18 Sep 2023 Updated On Sep 19, 2023 10:04 IST

Image from Mongabay India

A tragic incident unfolded in California, US when a woman had all four of her limbs amputated after consuming tilapia fish contaminated by a deadly infection. The woman from was infected by a hazardous bacteria Vibrio Vulnificus after consuming an undercooked contaminated tilapia fish from the local market. 

As per the reports, the devastating incident developed as the woman came in contact with a lethal bacterial infection after eating an undercooked infected tilapia fish she purchased from the local market. 

Tilapia Caution: US Mother Loses All 4 Limbs After Eating Undercooked Fish:

Laura Barajas, a 40-year-old mother, underwent the lifesaving surgery on Thursday after a months-long stay in the hospital, the New York Post reports.


Vibro Vulnificus is a fatal bacterial infection usually found in seawater and seafood.

On Thursday, Bajaras received a life-saving surgery after staying two months hospitalised due to her lethal infection. 

Barajas' friend Anna Messina told KRON, that doctors put Bajaras in a medically induced coma and observed that her fingers, feet, and lower lip were black. Bajaras had complete sepsis and her kidneys were failing. She was also on a respirator and almost lost her life, added Messina. 


"It's just been really heavy on all of us. It's terrible. This could've happened to any of us," added Messina.

The infection expert Dr Spottiswoode explained there are two possibilities on how an individual can get infected by the bacteria, one by the consumption of seafood infected with the bacteria, and another by the exposed wound or tattoo exposed to the seawater infected with the bacteria. She highlighted how this bacterial infection is particularly more dangerous for people with weak immune systems. 

According to the New York Post, one in every five people infected by the deadly bacteria lose their life and 150-200 people from the US are reported to be infected by this bacteria. 


Dr Dilip Gude, senior consultant physician, Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad spoke on preventative measures. "The only way to avoid getting infected by Vibrio vulnificus is by adequately cooking sea foods and washing hands after handling such foods. In case you are going into brackish waters, make sure there are no wounds or cuts or loss of integrity of the skin in the legs or hands. Wear full protective gloves,” Dr Gude suggested in an interview with The Indian Express.

This study and a tragic incident with Laura Bajaras once again highlight the importance of people handling seafood better and how immunocompromised people must take sensible precautions to cancel out the high risks associated with such infections by seawater and seafood. 

Suggested reading: Woman Loses Leg To Flesh-Eating Bacteria Contracted In The Bahamas


#US Mother Amputated #Tilapia