One Chip Challenge Snack Recalled From Stores After US Teen Dies

A 14-year-old boy from Worcester, Massachusetts, died after allegedly eating an extremely spicy chip that was the subject of a viral challenge. In the latest update, Amazon and eBay have removed the chip from their sites after the teen's death

Uma Bakshi
06 Sep 2023 Updated On Sep 12, 2023 14:03 IST
teen death tiktok challenge

Image Credits- (via NDTV)

On Friday, September 1, 2023, Harris Wolobah took part in the "One Chip Challenge"- a move that would prove fatal. Within hours, the 14-year-old passed away, after digesting a spicy Paqui chip, allegedly one of the spiciest tortilla chips, in recent news. 

Wolobah, a pupil of the Doherty Memorial High School in Worcester, took part in the viral TikTok trend at school. 

What Was The "One Chip Challenge?"

The "One Chip Challenge" is a viral trend on the social media platform TikTok where viewers are encouraged to eat a Paqui chip, allegedly one of the spiciest chips in the world. The challenge is in how long one can go on eating it without drinking or eating anything else for relief, according to the Paqui chip website. 


In the latest update, according to the BBC, Amazon and eBay have removed the chip from their sites after the death of Harris Wolobah in Massachusetts. Amazon said that it would remove the product from its sites in the US, Britain, Europe, the Middle East and Africa. It also plans to contact any international buyers who recently bought the chips to inform them. 

An eBay spokesperson said user safety was a "top priority" and it had removed sale listings. "We are monitoring our site closely and will remove any other listings if they arise," the spokesperson said, as per the outlet

In a statement to NBC10, Wolobah's mother stated that her son consumed a Paqui chip at school and quickly got a stomach ache, which led to him being picked up by his family from school early. He apparently started feeling better but then passed out as he was leaving for basketball tryouts. 


He was then rushed to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Wolobah's mother believes her child died from eating the snack. The official cause of death is as of yet unconfirmed. 


The Paqui Tortilla Chip company put up a warning on its website, advising that their products be kept away by children and consumed by adults only, along with other guidelines on how to consume their products, and advising those suffering symptoms of nausea, fainting, and have a hard time breathing to go see a doctor immediately. 


Harris' school paid tribute to the 14-year-old teenager, with the superintendent of Worcester Public Schools, Rachel Monarrez, telling SkyNews, "It is with a heavy heart I share that we lost a rising star, Harris Wolobah."

"As a mother and educator, I cannot imagine how hard this is on his family, friends and teachers," she said. "My heart goes out to all who knew and loved him."

Suggested Reading: Woman Tries TikTok Hack, Peels Off Face In Horrifying Accident

#Dangerous TikTok Trends #paqui chip #viral ##TikTok #teen