Sushmita Sen is a role model for many Indian women regardless of their age. She is a strong, independent and intelligent woman who believes in living life on her own terms and conditions. She is dating a guy younger than her, she adopted children as a single woman. The actor has always done what she believes in pushing society’s prescribed rules.
Here are 8 times Sushmita Sen reinforced my feminism.
- She feels that for winning, money is not what matters. If you have the right intention, things eventually come your way. She owned her unconventional beauty tag and won hearts. For Miss Universe, Sen’s winning gown was stitched by a local tailor. The cloth was from Sarojini Nagar market in Delhi.
- She defied the usual norms by adopting two girls when she was single and only 25 years of age. Sushmita first opened her heart and home to Renee. Soon after that, she adopted another little girl, Alisha. She proved that motherhood can be embraced at any age and one doesn’t necessarily need a man to complete you.
- Sushmita Sen proudly flaunts her identity as a mother. And she started doing so long before Bollywood’s leading actresses even publicly talked of pregnancy. She has always spoken about children, the need to empower the girl child and more. The actor is often heard introducing herself as a mother. “My name is Sushmita Sen and I am a proud mother of two very beautiful young ladies”.
- Sen takes self-love goals to a whole new level. The actor believes in celebrating herself. Besides acting, she has also kept her passions alive. One of them is poetry. She has the ability to weave magic with her words.
- Sushmita is currently dating model Rohman Shawl, who is 15 years younger to her. Once again, the beauty broke all the dating stereotypes and proved that love is what matters. She said, “I didn’t know that he would turn out to be a very evolved person for someone 15 years younger. Shallows don’t work for me, it has to have depth. It has been beautiful. Me, him, my kids, we make a team”.
- On the career side, the projects which the actor chooses are empowering in themselves. Her recent web series Aarya is about a woman recently widowed and has three young children. She is willing to compromise her moral ground to protect her family. Read more about it here
- Sen never shies away from putting forward her point of in any issue. In one of her interview, she talked about the gender based wage gap in the industry. She said that she is glad that women have found a way to say NO nowadays in an industry which is dominated by men. But all men are not same. “There are men in our society who celebrate women. No one needs to empower us, just support us”.
- Here are some of them. “I have no fear of failing…I have accepted the one important thing in my life that I am not perfect. You are going to fail at some point or the other.” “What made me win Miss Universe was my belief as an average Indian girl, that I could try and be better than average one day.” You can read more of her quotes on life here.
Shivangi Thapa is an intern with SheThePeople.Tv
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.