India’s goalkeeper Aditi Chauhan has signed with Icelandic club Hamar Hveragerdi, the All India Football Federation declared on Twitter on Thursday.
Chauhan will play for the club in the third division of the women’s football league system in Iceland. The Icelandic club is a multi-sport facility and fielded its women’s team for the first time in 2020.
The Indian football federation took to the micro-blogging site to make the announcement and wrote, “Congratulations to Senior Women’s National Team goalkeeper @aditi03chauhan on signing for Icelandic club Hamar Hveragerði”.
Congratulations to Senior Women's National Team goalkeeper @aditi03chauhan on signing for Icelandic 🇮🇸 club Hamar Hveragerði 🙌#BackTheBlue 💙 #ShePower 👧 #IndianFootballForwardTogether 💪 #IndianFootball ⚽ pic.twitter.com/lbC32L4ofg
— Indian Football Team (@IndianFootball) April 15, 2021
Recently, Aditi played two international friendlies with the Indian team when they toured to Uzbekistan and played against the home team and Belarus.
Other than Chauhan, Bala Devi of the India women’s national football team joined the Scottish club Rangers Women’s FC last season and became the first Indian woman footballer to do so.
Here’s what we know about the Indian footballer Aditi Chauhan:
- Initially, Aditi Chauhan started her training in basketball and got a grip of the ball which eventually helped her in excelling in football.
- She was selected to represent Delhi women’s team in the under-19 level at the age of 15.
- Later, Chauhan went on to pursue an MSc degree in Sports Management at Loughborough University, where she represented their football team
- The 28-year-old made her debut with the West Ham United Ladies in 2015.
- She became the first player from the Indian National Women’s team to play in England.
- After spending two seasons with the club, she returned to India with an aim to regain her spot in the national women’s football team for the Asian Games in early 2018.
- The Indian footballer joined Gokulam Kerala for the Indian Women’s League in season 2019-20 and won the league with them.
- She was is also the first-choice goalkeeper for the national team.
- Chauhan signing with the Iceland club makes her the second Indian woman footballer to land a professional contract with a European outfit.