Megan Rapinoe is an American professional football player who is the co-caption of the OL Reign football team. She is also a member of the United States women’s national soccer team (USWNT).
Rapinoe who is known for advocating for equal pay for female athletes was recently called to the White House to testify before Congress on the gender pay gap.
Within the first three months of 2021, more anti-trans bills have been introduced than any year. Several states such as have passed bills that block trans youth from competing in school athletics in accordance with their gender identity. When Rapinoe was asked about the inclusion of transgender people in sports, she voiced her support for the transgender community. She stated that “As a member of the LGBTQ community I firmly stand with the trans family and that whole community.” Rapinoe added that "As someone who has played sports with someone who is trans, I can assure you all is well, nothing is spontaneously combusting."
Who Is Megan Rapinoe?
- Megan Rapinoe is a professional soccer player that was the winner of the Ballon d'Or Féminin award which is presented by France Football.
- The 35-year-old Rapinoe won gold with the USWNT at the 2012 London Summer Olympics, along with the 2015 and 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
- Rapinoe publicly came out as a lesbian in the July 2012 Out magazine.
- She is also an advocate for several LGBTQ+ organisations including Athlete Ally and the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN).
- In 2013, she became an ambassador for Athlete Ally, a nonprofit organisation that focuses on ending homophobia and transphobia in sports.
- Rapinoe and 27 of her USWNT teammates filed a lawsuit in March 2019 against the United States Soccer Federation and accused it of gender discrimination. The reason for the lawsuit stems from their fight for equal pay.
- During an international match in September 2016, Rapinoe kneeled during the national anthem in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick.
Feature Image Credit: The Guardian