Watch Ray online: The trailer of Netflix anthology Ray will have an OTT release on June 25. The film is a modern retelling of four short stories by the legendary filmmaker Satyajit Ray. Looking at the cast of Ray, the intriguing upcoming series stars actors Manoj Bajpayee, Ali Fazal, Shweta Basu Prasad, Gajraj Rao, Kay Kay Menon, Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor, Radhika Madan and others. It bring together filmmakers Srijit Mukherji, Vasan Bala and Abhishek Chaubey.
Here’s what we know so far about the four-part original series Ray:
1. Ray is a part of a year-long celebration of legendary auteur Satyajit Ray’s 100th birth anniversary. The drama series is inspired by four of his stories Spotlight, Bahurupi, Forget Me Not and Hungama Hai Kyon Barpa. It will start streaming on OTT from 25 June, Friday.
2. Apart from an ensemble cast, Ray is directed by three filmmakers – Srijit Mukherji, Abhishek Chaubey and Vasan Bala. The series writers are Siraj Ahmed and Niren Bhatt.
3. The trailer of Ray gives a glimpse of all four stories and sums up the anthology in these four words: “Ego, betrayal, revenge, envy.”
4. The story Spotlight, named after its source text, the protagonist Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor is cast as a superstar dealing with crippling insecurity over becoming increasingly irrelevant. Things take a turn when he enters a life of chaos as he gives in to superstitions and is engulfed by self-doubt.
5. Next story Bahrupiya features Kay Kay Menon, a timid man who longs to be a make-up artist is stuck at a job he hates. His life takes an unexpected turn when he finds the only copy of his grandmother’s guide to prosthetic makeup. With the diary at his disposal, he starts living a life in disguise under the garb of make-up and confronts all those who he feels have wronged him.
6. Forget Me Not is inspired by Ray’s Bipin Chowdhury’r Smritibhrom. The story revolves around a corporate shark Ali Fazal, plays the protagonist, blessed with an eidetic memory. Shweta Basu Prasad also appears in the segment. When Fazal encounters a woman who he fails to remember, this sends him into a downward spiral of self-doubt and insecurity. Read all about the cast and the director here.
7. Hungama Hai Kyon Barpa, which stars Manoj Bajpayee as a ghazal singer and Gajraj Rao as his co-passenger, is a retelling of Barin Bhowmik-er Byaram. The story is centred around a mysterious ghazal singer and an ex-wrestler turned sports journalist, who meet each other on a train journey. As they discover more about each other, they realise that they had once met on a similar train journey ten years back.
8. Ray was announced in March this year along with a bunch of new upcoming projects from Netflix India. With some of the best actors in the leading roles, the drama promises a psychological thriller concept and the story will take you on a ride that’s full of thrills, twists, emotions and a lot more.
9. Ray is argued to be an adaptation and not a remake.
10. For the unversed, Satyajit Ray is one of the greatest filmmakers in the history of cinema. He is also a celebrated author, who has written a series of short stories and novels. He is the creator of characters like Feluda – the Indian Sherlock, Professor Shonku and Tarini Khuro. Ray received an Honorary Academy Award in 1992 for his immense contribution to cinema. He was the first Indian to receive an Oscar and his contribution to cinema and literature helped put India on the global map.
Watch the trailer of the upcoming anthology Ray here:
Feature Image Credit: Screengrab