Saina Nehwal-Siddharth controversy: Actor Siddharth is being trolled for the past few days for his controversial tweet on badminton player Saina Nehwal. Not only Nehwal, but her father and husband too have called out the actor for his choice of words.
On January 5, the convoy of Prime Minister Narendra Modi was stopped unscheduled at a flyover in Ferozepurwith protesting farmer’s blocking his way. Several people expressed concern over how the incident wad a serious breach in the PM’s security. Shuttler Saina Nehwal took to Twitter to condemn the incident, writing, “No nation can claim itself to be safe if the security of its own PM gets compromised. I condemn, in the strongest words possible, the cowardly attack on PM Modi by anarchists.”
It is this tweet by Nehwal to which popular Southern actor Siddharth has responded to.
Here’s how the Saina Nehwal-Siddharth controversy unfolded following the shuttler’s tweet:
1. On the morning of January 6, Siddharth replied to Nehwal’s tweet, writing, “Subtle cock champion of the world… Thank God we have protectors of India.”
2. While Siddharth’s tweet came a day after the incident in Punjab, it was only on January 10 that he began trending on Twitter, with many calling his tweet sexist and disrespectful towards Nehwal.
Suggested Reading: I Used To Like Him As An Actor: Saina Nehwal Reacts To Siddharth’s Sexist Tweet
3. On January 10, Siddharth offered clarification on his tweet, writing, “COCK & BULLThat’s the reference. Reading otherwise is unfair and leading! Nothing disrespectful was intended, said, or insinuated. Period.”
4. The National Commission for Women (NCW) called the tweet misogynistic and has directed authorities of Maharashtra to file a First Information Report (FIR)
5. NCW has also written to Twitter India asking for an immediate block on Siddharth’s comment and “take appropriate action against him for posting offensive remarks… and insulting her [Nehwal’s] right to live with dignity.”
6. The National Commission for Women’s chairperson Rekha Sharma also condemned Siddharth for his remark. Sharma wrote, “This man needs a one or two. Why does this person’s account still exist? Taking it up with concerned Police.”
7. Responding to the actor’s tweet about her, Saina Nehwal said, “Ya I’m not sure what he meant. I used to like him as an actor but this was not nice. He can express himself with better words but I guess it’s Twitter n u remain noticed with such words n comments.”
Suggested Reading: Actor Siddharth'”Sexist” Tweet To Badminton Star Saina Nehwal Sparks Outrage
8. Saina’s father Harvir Singh Nehwal too condemned Siddharth, saying, “Whatever he (actor Siddharth) said is very wrong. He used very wrong words against Saina (Nehwal). We condemn his statement. He should apologize for it, no matter if he made these remarks intentionally or unintentionally.”
9. Nehwal’s husband Kashyap Prupalli too slammed the actor on social media, writing, “This is upsetting for us … express ur opinion but choose better words man. I guess u thought it was cool to say it this way.”
10. No legal; action has been taken against the actor as of yet for his tweet.