Aamir Khan Kiran Rao divorce: Actor Aamir Khan and his wife producer-director Kiran Rao, in a joint statement on Saturday morning, announced their divorce after 15 years of marriage. The couple, who got married in 2005, said, “We would like to begin a new chapter in our lives – no longer as husband and wife, but as co-parents and family for each other.”
Actor Aamir Khan and his wife Kiran Rao, in a joint statement announce divorce after 15 years of marriage.
The couple said, "We would like to begin a new chapter in our lives – no longer as husband and wife, but as co-parents and family for each other." pic.twitter.com/gnQd2UPLTZ
— ANI (@ANI) July 3, 2021
“We began a planned separation some time ago and now feel comfortable to formalize it. We remain devoted to our son Azad, who we will nurture and raise together. We will also work as collaborators on films, Pani Foundation, & other projects,” Khan and Rao said in a joint statement.
"We began a planned separation some time ago and now feel comfortable to formalize it. We remain devoted to our son Azad, who we will nurture and raise together. We will also work as collaborators on films, Pani Foundation, & other projects," the couple said in a joint statement pic.twitter.com/P54bSIisO8
— ANI (@ANI) July 3, 2021
Here are ten things to know about Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao divorce:
1. Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao met on the sets of Lagaan, where Rao was an assistant director. They got married in 2005 and welcomed their son Azad through surrogacy later.
2. In a joint statement issued on July 3, they said that their fifteen years together were “beautiful” and that they have shared a lifetime of experiences, joy and laughter. Khan and Rao claimed that their “relationship has only grown in trust, respect and love.”
3. Khan and Rao announced that now they would like to begin a new chapter in their respective lives. Though they would no longer be husband and wife, but together would co-parent and raise their kid. “We began a planned separation some time ago, and now feel comfortable to formalise this arrangement, of living separately yet sharing our lives the way an extended family does,” read their statement.
4. They said that they will continue to be “devoted parents” to their son.
5. Khan and Rao went on to described their divorce as the start of a “new journey” and added, “We request our well wishers for good wishes and blessings, and hope that – like us – you will see this divorce not as an end, but as the start of a new journey.”
6. They also said to be continuing their work as collaborators on films, Paani Foundation, and other projects that they feel passionate about.
7. They both also thanked their families and friends for their constant support and understanding about “this evolution in our relationship”.
8. Khan was previously married to Reena Dutta, with whom he has a daughter named Ira Khan and a son named Junaid. Ira has studied music, while her brother Junaid often assists his father in filmmaking.
9. In December 2020, Khan and Rao along with Azad and the actor’s daughter Ira Khan were seen celebrating their 15th wedding anniversary at the Gir National Park.
10. Meanwhile, on the professional front, Khan will be next seen in the film Laal Singh Chaddha alongside Kareena Kapoor Khan.
Feature Image Credit: India.com
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.