Who is Usha Soman? Model-turned-actor and fitness icon Milind Soman has often motivated masses towards both physical and mental fitness, a passion that also connects him with his wife Ankita Konwar. Yet the biggest fitness guru of the Soman family is his mother, Usha Soman.
At 81, Usha Soman is breaking all kinds of barriers and how! Along with wife Ankita, Soman is often seen celebrating his mother and her awe-inspiring journey. Despite her age, she has evolved as a true inspiration for people, both young and old.
Here are 10 things to know about who is Usha Soman:
- Usha Soman is a retired professor of biochemistry.
- Soman started trekking since she was only 16-years-old and has participated in many running and walking marathons as well as treks.
- She now holds the record of being the oldest woman to do the Sandakphu Phalut trek. “Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Darjeeling said that Aai is the oldest woman to have ever trekked this route we are blessed .. (sic),” Milind Soman wrote on Instagram recently.
- In her late 70s, Soman ran a marathon barefoot in a sari! Her son shared the throwback video from 2016 on his Instagram.
- Soman was able to pull off a plank of 1 minute and 20 seconds in the year 2016. This video was shared by the Pinkathon ambassador, Milind Soman on the account of Mother’s Day.
- Milind Soman has described his mother as a ‘fitness addict’.
- Her daily routine is simple and effective and includes a 5 km walk every morning.
- PM Narendra Modi was left in awe during the Fit India Movement after he saw the video of Usha Soman nailing push-ups at her age.
Usha Soman has opened up about her views on fitness, “I don’t believe in these fads about having high protein diet with a specific amount of carbohydrates and all. If you really think about it, our traditional food was absolutely balanced. I just stick to that.”
Milind Soman is often found urging people to take their fitness seriously but his mom is an unsung hero when it comes to being fit and active. Usha Soman is not just an inspiration to women but to men too as there are many youngsters who wouldn’t be able to beat her.