Who Is Syesha Mercado: American Idol star Syesha Mercado is protesting against the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office after they seized her 10-day-old baby daughter, at a roadside break in Florida. The moment was captured in a video that has been raging over the internet.
Taking to Instagram, the singer and her husband Tyron Deener expressed their agony in an hour-long video. The caption of the post read, “THEY TOOK OUR BABY AGAIN!” The video became viral and has garnered over 20 lakh views.
As per reports, Manatee County sheriff’s office deputies seized the 10-day-old baby by showing the couple an order, for a medical check-up at the hospital. The couple tried to persuade the officers by saying that they were “compliant and following every law.” They further added that their daughter had a physical checkup by a doctor just a day prior.
When the deputies were parting her from her newborn daughter she screamed, “You are traumatizing my baby. How could you guys do this?” Crestfallen, she called them heartless for their actions. The video of the devastated couple has created massive outrage on social media.
Support @syesha in her pursuit of justice and custody of 2 kids:
— Ben Crump (@AttorneyCrump) August 13, 2021
Here’s everything you need to know about Syesha Mercado
- The former American Idol star finished as the second runner-up during the seventh season of the long-running TV singing competition. Besides being a singer-songwriter, she is a model and an actor.
- She began singing in the church choir as early as three years old.
- Earlier, the musician had participated in ABC’s The One: Making a Music Star and won the title of Florida Super Singer.
- Before being a part of American Idol, she started off by acting for commercials.
- Her career graph escalated in Broadway after she gained the role of Deena Jones in the popular musical, Dreamgirls.
- According to Mercado, five months ago, their first child, Amen’Ra, was “forcefully and legally kidnapped” under ambiguous circumstances, from the 34-year-old Sarasota, Florida native.
- The authorities had reportedly seized her first child under the grounds of malnutrition. Syesha dismissed the claims and said that they were falsely accused of refusing a B12 vaccine for their child.
- Along with her partner, she is still in an ongoing legal battle to regain custody of her son.
- The musician actively discusses the prevalence of racial discrimination in the country and how they are one among the thousand victims.