Who is Emma Coronel Aispuro? Notorious Mexican drug lord El Chapo’s wife Emma Coronel Aispuro was arrested at Virginia’s Dulles International Airport by US authorities on Monday. Aispuro stands accused of international drug trafficking and of conspiring to help her husband escape from a Mexican prison, back in 2015. Her husband Joaquin Guzman, better known as “El Chapo”, is currently serving a life term at a New York jail for drug trafficking and money laundering. The 63-year-old drug lord was extradited to the United States in 2017.
Here are wife things to know about El Chapo’s wife Emma Coronel Aispuro:
1. Aispuro is facing several charges in the US, including running her husband’s multi-million dollar drug cartel, plotting her husband’s escape from prison in 2015, and distribution of cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin and marijuana.
2. The 31-year-old has been with El Chapo since 2007 and gave birth to twin daughters in 2011.
3. Emma Coronel Aispuro is a former beauty queen, and her father Ines Coronel Barreras, was also arrested in 2013 on charges of trafficking marijuana across the border from Douglas, Arizona.
4. El Chapo, the former head of Sinola drug cartel in Mexico was once said to be the biggest supplier of drugs to the US.
5. Emma Coronel Aispuro holds dual citizenship in the US and Mexico. At the end of El Chapos’ trial in the US, Aispuro said, “I don’t know my husband as the person they are trying to show him as, but rather I admire him as the human being that I met, and the one that I married.”
Image Credit: The Hindu