Who is Alka Lamba? Current Congress and former Aam Aadmi Party leader Alka Lamba was summoned by Punjab Police along with Kumar Vishwas another ex-AAP leader, for allegedly giving out false statements about the national convener of Aam Aadmi Party and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.
Currently a leader in the congress party, Alka Lamba quit the Aam Aadmi Party, on September 6 2019, five years after joining, due to differences and alleged disrespect towards her by other party members. On April 20, 2022, she made news of being summoned by Punjab Police for allegedly making derogatory statements about the current Delhi CM, Arvind Kejriwal, ahead of Punjab Assembly polls in the upcoming election. The Punjab police passed a notice, on Alka Lamba’s residence. The notice summons her to appear before the special investigation team.
The post shared by Alka on her Twitter reads- “You have been nominated as an accused. During the investigation, it is revealed that there are reasonable grounds to question you to ascertain facts and circumstances from you. Hence you are summoned to appear in person before Special Investigation Team at 10.00 am on or before April 26 at Police Station Sadar Rupnagar for purpose of Investigation.” She also mentions that she fears the AAP government in Punjab. Alka Lamba has been booked under various sections of CrPC and IPC including section 125 of Representation of the Peoples Act 1951 and 1988.
The notice issued by the Rupnagar police additionally asks Lamba to comply stating– “You will join the investigation of the case as and when required and will cooperate in the investigation and you will produce all relevant documents/material required for the investigation. Please note in case you fail to appear before the SIT, necessary steps shall be initiated to compel the attendance.” Caught amidst a controversy, Here’s everything to know about Alka Lamba.
Who Is Alka Lamba? Congress Leader Caught In Controversy
- Hailing from Delhi, she was born to an Indian Army Civilian Engineer Amar Nath Lamba, and Raj Kumari Lamba.
- She is a Delhi University Alumni and holds a degree in BSc from Dyal Singh College. She also then went on to complete her Masters in Chemistry and Education from the Bundelkhand University, Uttar Pradesh.
- During her DU days she was the President of Delhi University Students’ Union in 1995 after the win in NSUI.
- Alka Lamba dived into politics in 1994, joining National Students’ Union of India (NSUI), the student wing of the Congress party. She worked as All India Girl Convener for NSUI in 1996, and in 1997 she was appointed as the President of all India (NSUI).
- She had been associated with Congress for more than 20 years, starting off as General Secretary of All India Mahila Congress, to winning various other positions such as Vice Chairperson of National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD). She also served as the Secretary All India Congress Committee (AICC) from 2007-11 at the Indian National Congress.
- She is also a former Aam Aadmi Party leader, bagging the position of MLA of Chandni Chowk Constituency in 2015, quitting congress go join AAP in 2014. She quit AAP and joined back to INC in September 2016.
- Being an active campaigner on equality, women empowerment and human rights, she has been to UK, Russia, USA, China,Venezuela to convey speeches about the same.
- Alka has been awarded Indira Gandhi Pratishthan Award in the field of working for Women cause in 2008-2009. She also runs the NGO ‘Go India Foundation’, that hosts various drives such as blood donation etc.