Assam girl tortured: Amid all the headlines about racist comments against people from the Northeast, a video featuring a young girl being allegedly tortured by five people in Assam has gone viral on social media.
(Trigger Warning: Contents of this report can be distressing, readers discretion advised)
The video shows a gang of four unidentified men and a woman thrashing and brutalising a young girl, believed to be hailing from the northern state. However, Assam police on Thursday declared in a tweet that the location of this incident is still unknown and announced a reward to whoever can share information about the crime.
The viral video of a girl from North-East being brutally raped and tortured by 4 men & 1 women is not related to Jodhpur suicide case. I had detail discussion with the Police Commisioner of Jodhpur.
However, there must be all out efforts by all State Police to catch the devils.
— Kiren Rijiju (@KirenRijiju) May 26, 2021
Here’s everything we know about the brutal incident:
1. A girl suspected to be from the North-East has been allegedly tortured and sexually assaulted by a gang of four men and one woman. The video of the girl being tortured went viral on social media late Wednesday night.
2. The video shows the culprits slapping the girl and also stepping on her face before stripping her naked as she cries out.
3. Though the identities of the accused persons and the date of the filming of the video have not been ascertained yet, there are reports that the video was circulating from Northeast India.
4. According to some reports, the girl in the video was the same girl who had allegedly committed suicide recently in Jodhpur, Rajasthan identified as Lovikali Sumi from Nagaland.
5. Correcting this information, Additional Director General of Police, Delhi Police and Special Commissioner Robin Hibu IPS also informed on Facebook that the viral video is not related to the 25-year old Naga woman, who died of suicide at Rajasthan’s Jodhpur on May 23, as per Eastern Mirror Nagaland, which also reported that post-mortem tests declared that her death was ‘natural suicide.’
6. Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju also issued a similar statement saying that the two girls are different. The minister on Wednesday night revealed on Twitter that the viral video of a girl from the North-East being brutally raped and tortured is not related to the Jodhpur suicide case. She went on to inform that he had a detailed discussion with the Police Commissioner of Jodhpur adding, “there must be all out efforts by all State Police to catch the devils.”
7. According to the North-Eastern Chronicle, the Assam Police and Meghalaya Police started a joint operation to trace the accused in the viral video.
8. In view of the horrific viral video, the Assam Police has released the images of the five suspected perpetrators and offered a “handsomely” reward for more information from the public which can lead them to their arrest. “We are reaching out to proactively locate the culprits,” Assam Police added saying the place and time remain unclear.
9. On Thursday evening, the Bengaluru police arrested six people, including two women, in connection with the case from the city. These people are suspected to be from the same gang and are from Bangladesh originally. According to Bengaluru Commissioner of Police Kamal Pant, the victim who is also a Bangladeshi was brought to India for trafficking and was tortured and brutalised due to a financial matter. Check out the timeline of the case here.
10. It was further reported that two of the accused men had been shot at by the police following an attempt on their part to escape. The police later said that the firing was done in self defense and that both the accused in question had been taken to hospital after the incident. Read more about the alleged shooting here.