Total Omicron cases in India continue to rise every day, with more and more states and cities adding to the tally. As of today, the number of patients infected with this new coronavirus variant in our nation stands at 32.
World Health Organisation (WHO) declared Omicron as a “Variant of Concern” on November 26, just two days after its first case was reported by South Africa. Ever since, the world has been racing against time to impose restrictions, ramp up vaccinations and follow up on detected cases to contain the spread of Omicron.
What we know about the variant and the severity of the disease it can cause is vague. While scientists have warned of high reinfection rates, a spike in cases of COVID-19 among children under five years of age and possible potential of the variant to escape the body’s immune system, there have also been reports that symptoms among Omicron infected patients largely remain mild. However, more information is still awaited.
Following is the state-wise tally of Omicron cases in India so far:
1. Karnataka – Two cases of Omicron variant-caused COVID-19 were detected on 2 December 2021 in the state through genome sequences. These were the first two reported cases of the new coronavirus variant in the country. One of the patients had travelled to South Africa and was quarantined at a hotel after testing positive for COVID-19. After getting a negative RT PCR report he flew to Dubai. The second case was that of a local doctor who had no travel history. Both the patients were fully vaccinated.
2. Gujarat – A 72-year-old man from Zimbabwe, who had arrived in Jamnagar on November 28, tested positive for the new coronavirus variant on December 2. The patient has only received a single dose of China’s Sinovac vaccine. However, so far his condition is stable and he has only shown mild symptoms like cough, sore throat and cold. His wife and brother-in-law were also detected with the new strain. This takes the number of cases in Gujarat to three.
3. Maharashtra – The tally of cases now stands at 17 in the state after seven new cases of the Omicron variant of coronavirus were reported. Out of these cases, three are from Mumbai including a one-and-a-half-year old toddler and four from Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation. This includes a three-and-half-year-old girl also, the state health department said.
4. Rajasthan – As many as nine people tested positive for Omicron in the state’s capital city Jaipur, on December 5. Of these, four people had returned from South Africa. All those infected were admitted to the Rajasthan University of Health Sciences’ COVID-19 facility.
5. Delhi – A man who arrived from Tanzania on 5 December 2021 tested positive for Omicron on Sunday. The patient was admitted to the LNJP Hospital for observation and isolation. He was fully vaccinated.
Suggested Reads For You :
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.