Mangalsutra Sabyasachi: Indian luxury brand Sabyasachi is under fire for posting a series of vulgar advertisements for promoting Mangalsutra, one of its products. A lot of netizens have taken to Twitter to express their displeasure and troll the brand seeing these posts on Instagram.
In fact, Ashutosh J Dubey, a legal advisor to BJP-Maharashta, has issued a legal notice to Sabyasachi for “using semi-naked models for a Mangalsutra collection advertisement.” He wrote: “I have issued a Legal notice to Sabyasachi Mukherjee Indian fashion designer regarding using “semi-naked models for a Mangalsutra collection advertisement as Mangalsutra is part of Holy Hindu Marriage. He outraged the holy Hindu Marriage (Mangalsutra).”
I have issued a Legal notice to Sabyasachi Mukherjee Indian fashion designer regarding using "semi-naked models for a Mangalsutra collection advertisement as "Mangalsutra" is part of Holy Hindu Marriage.
He outraged the holy Hindu Marriage (Mangalsutra). pic.twitter.com/QPojQtiOKH
— ADV. ASHUTOSH J. DUBEY 🇮🇳 (@AdvAshutoshBJP) October 28, 2021
Here are 10 things to know about Sabyasachi trolling
- For the last few days, Sabyasachi’s Instagram handle has been featuring models in a variety of solo and heterosexual or same-sex couple poses.
- All the women in the images can be seen wearing Sabyasachi Mangalsutra.
- A product named The Royal Bengal Mangalsutra 1.2 is part of the intimate collection. “Create your love stack with Sabyasachi Jewellery’s range of everyday luxury,” the brand says promoting it. Here’s the post.
- The post features a plus-size model in a black bra who is wearing a tiny bindi and sporting a mangalsutra and neckpiece.
- A lot of netizens have taken to Instagram to slam the brand and have taken particular offence to its use and placement of the mangalsutra on models’ bare skins. Mangalsutra is a sacred thread many Hindu women wear around their necks as a mark of marriage.
- For instance, one user wrote, “This is just distasteful! Where is the jewelry ?
- Another user wrote, “The pic is to show skin or jewellery ? Not expected frm a respectable fashion designer…”, “Does showing so much skin justify ‘Intimate jewellery’ ?”, asked another.
- A lot of people have taken to Twitter as well for the same. The official Twitter handle of Akhil Bhartiya Grahak Panchayat Gujarat Prant wrote, “Namste This page is contain vulger advertisement….. Which mislead people of india highly.. We ABGP GUJARAT PRANT WOMEN WING Highly oppose this advertisement and doing social media protest against this advertisement”
- Many want the ads to be taken down.
This page is contain vulger advertisement….. Which mislead people of india highly.. We ABGP GUJARAT PRANT WOMEN WING Highly oppose this advertisement and doing social media protest against this advertisement. #Sabyasachi @ShefVaidya pic.twitter.com/y5B0VnE06S
— AKHIL BHARTIYA GRAHAK PANCHAYAT GUJARAT PRANT (@abgpgujaratpran) October 27, 2021
We understand what "intimate jewellery" means.
— बोलणारी मुलगी 🇮🇳 (@apy_fiz) October 27, 2021