The Gorilla Glue Girl has reigned as the internet’s ultimate obsession over the past few days. Tessica Brown, as she is named, was accorded this strange sobriquet after she accidentally used the Gorilla Glue adhesive instead of hair spray, sharing her ordeal on social media.
After she said she sought medical treatment to remove the adhesive from her hair, the Gorilla Glue company addressed her concerns, saying, “We do not recommend using our products in hair as they are considered permanent.”
According to latest reports, Brown is considering a lawsuit against the company upon the claims that its labels are misleading and has been raising funds online. On Tuesday, with the help of a friend and some superglue remover, Brown was able to finally chop her long ponytail off. She however claims her scalp still burns with the adhesive clinging to it for dear life. Brown is reportedly planning to seek the help of a Los Angeles plastic surgeon who has offered to help her out with her hair free of charge.
As the internet continues to be baffled at Brown’s experience and the bizarreness of it, here’s an explanation of what actually happened to the Gorilla Glue Girl.
Gorilla Glue Girl: A Timeline Of Events
1. Last week, Louisiana-based Tessica Brown in a video shared on her Instagram, told followers, “My hair, it don’t move. You hear what I’m telling you? It don’t move… I’ve washed my hair 15 times.”
2. Brown claimed that her hair had been stuck in a permanent do for almost a month. Her series of videos soon went viral, garnering over 2 million views on Instagram and 21 million views on TikTok.
3. Her popularity peaked so much that netizens began dedicating artwork to her, some of which she shared on her social media profile. Brown thanked online crowds for amplifying her cause and lending her kind words of encouragement.
4. On February 7, the Gorilla Glue Girl shared pictures of herself visiting the St Bernard Parish Hospital to get medical intervention for her glued hair. As per reports, she spent 22 hours in the emergency room.
5. Since healthcare workers’ attempt to remove the glue with acetone failed, Brown was advised to keep trying to use rubbing alcohol to soften her rock-hard hair. Sharing pictures of the sterile water as a potential remedy, Brown wrote, “This is really about to be a long process.”
6. The Gorilla Glue Girl story even caught the attention of Chance The Rapper, who wrote, “When I watched the video the second time it was hard to laugh cause I could tell shorty genuinely didn’t know she had put one of the worlds most powerful adhesives in her shit.”
I’m glad mfs actually supporting her thru this. When I watched the video the second time it was hard to laugh cause I could tell shorty genuinely didn’t know she had put one of the worlds most powerful adhesives in her shit. I hope she recovers well 🙏🏾 #gorillagluegirl— Chance The Rapper (@chancetherapper) February 6, 2021
7. Brown shared glimpses of a friend helping her use the advised remedy on her hair to no avail. She took to Instagram to write, “Sending a virtual hug to everybody please continue praying that I can get through this and keep my hair LOL”
8. Gorilla Glue, the adhesive company based in Ohio, apologised to Brown on social media, saying, “This is a unique situation because this product is not indicated for use in or on hair as it is considered permanent.”
We are very sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident that Miss Brown experienced using our Spray Adhesive on her hair. We are glad to see in her recent video that Miss Brown has received medical treatment from her local medical facility and wish her the best. pic.twitter.com/SoCvwxdrGc— Gorilla Glue (@GorillaGlue) February 8, 2021
9. The company added that Gorilla Glue is ideally used for “craft, home, auto or office projects to mount things to surfaces such as paper, cardboard, wood, laminate and fabric.”
10. However, claiming that the glue’s label does not indicate “hair” in any way, the Gorilla Glue Girl has reportedly filed a lawsuit and is raising money to sue the adhesive company.