Key benefits of Surya Namaskar: Exercise during lockdown
It’s very important for you to exercise and one of the best forms of stretch exercises is the Surya Namaskar. It has 12 yoga poses and its combination is like a salutation to the sun god. This exercise is possible at home, at a time when you may not have options to go out and explore parks and walking tracks. Just a yoga mat and Surya Namaskar, you will be good to go. Across all kinds of fitness trainings, we see instructors use this or a modified form of this. So we decided to bring for you, the key benefits of Surya Namaskar.
- Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation is a combination of 12 yoga poses. These poses do not use weights or external props. They not only helps to lose that extra fat around the belly but also helps tone and shape up.
- By doing a Surya Namaskar daily, one can burn over 400 calories.
- The exercise helps us shake up glands that have been dormant in normal day living. It gives the thyroid gland a boost and that leads it to increase hormonal secretions.
- Regular practice of Surya Namaskar is known to help women regulate irregular menstrual cycles and assist in childbirth.
- Women who do Surya Namaskars regularly have said it helps in their face to glow. One of the reasons for this is, that it helps good blood circulation.
- The 12 exercise combo also help improve sexual functions of the body.
- You can do Surya Namaskar at any time of the day. Many people however prefer to do it at sunrise.
- Speed of Surya Namaskar is a personal choice. Different people and trainers use it to their own preference. Some do it slow for flexibility while others do it fast for weight loss.
- The Surya Namaskar postures are a good blend of warm-ups and asanas and burnout. “Surya Namaskar is considered a full body workout,” says fitness coach Priyanka Mehta. “It strengthens the back, muscles, and reduces blood sugar levels too.”
- This exercise is well known for being the ‘ultimate asana’ because it helps more than just the physical body. “All these exercises help in improving metabolism, blood circulation levels and regulating the menstrual cycle as well for women,” Mehta adds.