Kangana Ranaut Seeks Rs Two Crore Compensation From BMC, Issues Notice
Kangana Ranaut has reportedly filed a petition before the Bombay High Court against the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) on Tuesday. She is seeking compensation worth rupees two crores for the damages done to her Bandra office. Ranaut visited her office on September 9, hours after the BMC carried out its partial demolition stating “illegal” construction.
The actor had posted several videos of her damaged office that day, and subsequently, the Bombay High Court had ordered a “status quo”, passing a stay order on the demolition work being carried out on her property. According to a report by TOI, “40 percent’’ of the bungalow is demolished “including valuable movable property like chandeliers, sofa, rare artworks.’’
However, BMC’s legal team had filed an affidavit and claiming that the construction at her office, Manikarnika Films Private Limited office, was illegal and it falls under “structural violations”. They went on to say that the actress failed to secure mandatory permissions for the alleged “illegal” alterations on the premises.
Reacting to the incident, Kangana took to Twitter and wrote:
There is no illegal construction in my house, also government has banned any demolitions in Covid till September 30, Bullywood watch now this is what Fascism looks like 🙂#DeathOfDemocracy #KanganaRanaut
— Kangana Ranaut (@KanganaTeam) September 9, 2020
What does the petition claim?
The civic body had earlier accused Kangana of “trying to obfuscate and cover-up” her illegal construction works “by making baseless and wild allegations of malafide, etc”, Times Now reported.
Ranaut denied all the charges and said that the BMC “has made false and incorrect statements and has not approached the Hon’ble Court with clean hands.”
The actor had received a demolition notice from BMC of September 7 that claimed the order will be carried out on September 9. Her lawyer had reportedly sent a reply on September 8 to stop the order but it was rejected. In the petition, it is mentioned that BMC and police officers were “already present outside the bungalow well before the time of the Impugned Order which can be proved by the Petitioner’s tweet at 10:19am on 9th of September, 2020. The photograph clearly shows that the officials ..alongwith police officers and with all the equipment as they were already ready to demolish the said Bungalow which shows that BMC always had mala fide intentions and ulterior motives to demolish the Bungalow and were ready even before the Impugned Order to demolish was passed.’’
“The present petition is misconceived and devoid of any merits and liable to be dismissed with costs,” the BMC had added.
Kangana Ranaut had earlier clarified on social media that since she was barely working these past few months because of the COVID-19 pandemic, she cannot afford to give her knocked down office a makeover. She tweeted: “I had my office opening on 15th Jan, shortly after corona hit us, like most of us I haven’t worked ever since, don’t have money to renovate it, I will work from those ruins keep that office ravaged as a symbol of a woman’s will that dared to rise in this world,” adding the hashtag, “Kangana vs Uddhav”.
The Bombay HC will hear the matter on September 22.
Kangana left her Mumbai residence and headed to her home in Manali on September 14. Before flying out of the city, she shared a parting note saying that she is leaving Mumbai with “a heavy heart.”
Feature Image Credit: PTI