There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). And so it’s important to stay informed and gather accurate details on prevention of this severe flu. As per Centre for Disease Control (CDC) in United States, The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person. And the fewer people we meet the better. So here’s what is advisable.
- Keep distance between people. Avoid being in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
- The disease also spreads through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. That’s how this spreads.
Clean your hands often
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. Make children sing happy birthday twice or count till 20 seconds.
- When not using soap, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. You don’t know where the infection will come from.
Stay home if you’re sick
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care. In case you feel breathless, then reach out to a doctor immediately.
Clean and disinfect
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks. Keep distance from people who come to deliver items and parcels presumably because they meet a lot of people all the time.
- If surfaces are dirty, clean them: Use detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.
- Get your children, family members, working staff to wash hands many times over