Zaya Wade: Zaya Wade is the daughter of NBA star Dwyane Wade, who has won three NBA championships, and former wife Siohvaughn Funches.
The teenager, who came out as transgender at the age of 12, was recently praised by former First Lady, Michelle Obama.
In a virtual interview led by Wade, Obama praised her and said, "I am just so proud of you being just an amazing role model and embracing your truth”.
"I want young people to practice embracing the new because I don't want them to ever feel stuck in their lives and I think that you are the kind of individual that will never feel stuck," Obama said during their conversation.
Here's what we know about Zaya Wade:
- The parents of the 13-year-old were divorced in 2007, and later her father tied the knot with actress Gabrielle Union in 2014.
- She has an older brother named Zaire, and two younger siblings, Xavier and Kaavia (children of Dwyane and Gabrielle).
- Zaya came out as transgender to the family when she was 11. In 2019, she came out publicly after attending an LBGT community parade with the family.
- In an interview, the NBA star revealed that her daughter knew that she was transgender since she was 3 years old.
- Dwyane also mentioned that Zaya is family's "leader" when it comes to educating them on the transgender community.
- Recently she recreated an iconic scene from the rom-com, 10 Things I Hate About You, with her step-mother Gabrielle Union.
- Following the release of Michelle Obama's young reader's edition of "Becoming", the teenager interviewed her idol.