Who Is Leyna Bloom? She is making headlines as she became the first transgender to star on the cover for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.
The 27-year-old model and actor made her Sports Illustrated debut on Monday, shetitled the moment as a powerful one that she devoted to the past, present, and future queens of the ballroom.
Before making history as the first Transgender to star on the cover of the said magazine, Bloom had also made featured on the cover of Vogue India. The 27-year-old made her debut as an actor in the feature film, Port Authority which was featured at the Cannes Film Festival. Bloom also claimed the first transgender woman of color to play a leading role in a movie that featured at a major film festival.
Here are the 6 things that you should know about Leyna Bloom:
1. Leyna Bloom came out as transgender in 2014 post her appearance in the CANDY Magazine cover feature that highlighted prominent transgender women.
2. Bloom walked on the ramp of New York Fashion Week for the Chromat label in 2017.
3. The 27-year-old initiated a viral campaign on Twitter that supported the inclusion of all body types on the runway. Bloom's campaign garnered worldwide attention due to which Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show’s casting direction was censured for the lack of inclusivity.
4. In 2019, Leyna Bloom became the only transgender woman of color as she walked the runway on Paris Fashion Week.
5. Bloom was also featured in the H&M x Moschino international campaign shot and was clicked by Steven Meisel, a fashion photographer.
6. On Monday Bloom made history as the first transgender woman as she became the first transgender model to star in the Swimsuit Issue. Her name was announced with rapper Megan Thee Stallion and tennis star Naomi Osaka.