Leyna Bloom is a transgender actor, model, dancer, and activist, she recently became the first openly trans woman to appear on Sports Illustrator magazine cover.
Earlier she had made history by gracing the cover of Vogue India magazine. Bloom made her debut as an actor in the feature film Port Authority which featured at the Cannes Film Festival. She became the first trans woman of colour to play a leading role in a movie that featured at a major film festival.
Bloom is also known for launching a Twitter campaign to be cast as the first openly trans woman to walk the runway in the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show.
Who Is Leyna Bloom?
- Leyna Bloom opened up about being transgender in 2014 after appearing in the CANDY Magazine cover feature that focused on prominent trans women.
- In 2017, Bloom walked the runway during the New York Fashion Week for the Chromat label.
- Bloom launched a viral campaign on Twitter that advocated for the inclusion of all body types on the runway. The campaign gained international attention and Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show’s casting direction was criticized for the lack of inclusiveness.
- Bloom was cast in the H&M x Moschino international campaign shot and was photographed by fashion photographer Steven Meisel.
- In 2019, Bloom became the only transgender woman of colour to walk the runway on Paris Fashion Week. The Tommy Hilfiger x Zendaya fashion show featured an all-black cast.
- In March 2019, Bloom became the first openly transgender woman of colour to appear on the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.
Feature Image Credit: BuzzFeed