Trinamool Nominates Sushmita Dev To Rajya Sabha. The erstwhile Congress leader Dev recently joined TMC. Read on to know more about the appointment.
The party announced the news by tweeting that “Mamata Banerjee’s vision to empower women and ensure their maximum participation in politics shall help our society to achieve much more!”
Trinamool Congress nominates Sushmita Dev to Rajya Sabha.
"Mamata Banerjee's vision to empower women and ensure their maximum participation in politics shall help our society to achieve much more!" tweets TMC.
(File pic) pic.twitter.com/UwrdZHZXIH
— ANI (@ANI) September 14, 2021
Here is all we know about the leader:
- Deb was born in 1972 in Silchar, Assam to Santosh Mohan Dev and her mother is Bithika Dev. Santosh Mohan Dev was a veteran Congress leader.
- She was elected as a member of Lok Sabha in 2014 from Silchar on Indian National Congress (INC) ticket ousting ousted Kabindra Purkayastha. She was associated with the grand old party for three decades before moving on to Trinamool Congress (TMC) in August 2021.
- In 2017 she became President of All India Mahila Congress.
- It is considered that her decision to leave INC was an abrupt one and a day after she joined the Trinamool. “It is not possible to be with the Congress anymore,” she had said after parting ways with the party.
- After joining Mamata Banerjee-led TMC she said, “I think after taking the decision of joining TMC, I have made absolutely no compromise on my ideology. I think the future is bright as we are going to work for the country. This is not the objective of only Mamata Didi but many political parties want the same and I will be a part of it.”
- The leader has been assigned the job of looking after the party function in Tripura and Assam.
- Dev has a B.A. (Hons.) from Miranda House, Delhi University. She also has a , Bar-at-Law, LL.M (Corporate and Commercial Laws) and studied at Thames Valley University, London; Inns of Courts School of Law, London and Kings College, London University.