Smriti Irani book: Union Minister Smriti Irani is set to add yet another feather to her cap. The actor-turned-politician is gearing up for the release of her debut novel, which is an action-thriller.
Irani currently holds the post of Minister of Women and Child Development in the Union Cabinet. In the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, she defeated Congress leader Rahul Gandhi to emerge victorious from the Amethi seat. The politician used to work as a model in the early part of her career, making her debut as a television actor with Aatish and Hum Hain Kal Aaj Aur Kal. But it was the daily soap Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, which made Irani a household name.
Now the Union Minister has penned a fiction novel titled Lal Salaam. Here are 10 things to know Irani’s upcoming book:
1. On November 17, Irani announced the publication of her debut novel Lal Salaam.
2. The book is inspired by the martyrdom of 76 CRPF personnel who were killed in a Naxalite attack in Dantewada, in April 2010.
3. The book humanises the daily conflicts and ethical dilemmas that are intrinsic to modern life.
4. The book is Irani’s tribute to women and men who have served the country, especially in confronting the challenges in the red corridor.
5. The central character of Lal Salaam is an officer named Vikram Pratap Singh, who has to face backroom politics and corruption and fight against massive odds to serve his country.
6. According to Irani, the story of Lal Salaam had been brewing at the back of her mind for the past few years.
7. Irani adds that there came a time when she simply couldn’t ignore the urge to put the story down on paper.
8. Irani hopes that readers will enjoy both the pace and insights that she has tried to bring to the narrative which is set in a less-reported part of India.
9. Lal Salaam will be available for sale across bookstores in India from 29 November 2021, both online and offline.
10. The novel has been published by Westland Publications.