Actor Anushka Sharma frequently shows her fans the behind-the-scenes of her getting ready on set, touching up her looks, and also self-care and home remedies that she swears by.
As the actor celebrates her 33rd birthday on May 1, let us revisit when Sharma shared her secret home remedy, oil pulling, ancient practice to keep teeth healthy and white.
In July last year, the Bollywood actor shared her daily morning ritual called oil pulling and shared its brief history with fans and followers.¬†In her Instagram post, Sharma was seen in pyjamas and the caption of her post described the process of oil pulling. She wrote that it was a mouth cleansing method which she does every morning.
The actor also explained about the ancient Ayurvedic practice which is also known as “Kavala” or “Gundusha”, a dental technique that involves swishing a little amount of oil in the mouth on an empty stomach or a few minutes before spitting it out.
This practice works very well for dental hygiene and also helps in removing toxins from the body.
In her post, the actor said that she thought of sharing this as all of us were (and still are) taking better care of our body and health during the pandemic, and are trying to improve our immunity. She hoped that this method would benefit many people.
How can one do oil pulling?
Oil pulling is a very effective, easy and inexpensive method to take care of dental health. Here are the steps to do oil pulling:
- Take a tablespoon of coconut, sunflower, sesame or olive oil and swish it around your mouth for ten to fifteen minutes.
- This should be done on an empty stomach.
- Do not swallow the oil. Even if you swallow it in little amounts, there is nothing to worry about.
- Keep swishing the oil until it turns frothy and spit it out.
- Rinse the mouth with water and brush your teeth as usual.