10 things to know about the alleged Jackky Bhagnani molestation case: Actor-producer Jackky Bhagnani is facing rape and molestation charges. A songwriter and former model based in Mumbai has lodged a complaint against nine men, including a well-known photographer Colston Julian and some others associated with Bollywood. The Bandra police station has confirmed that the FIR has been lodged but refused to give further details. Saying that no arrests have been made yet, an official on Monday claimed the 28-year-old model accused the nine men of sexually assaulting her during 2012 to 2019.
Here are ten things to know about the molestation and rape case that has rocked Bollywood:
1. The former model, a resident of suburban Andheri, had written a post on social media, on April 12, narrating how she was physically and emotionally abused over the years and named a son of a Bollywood producer, a talent manager and a film producer in her post.
2. A First Information Report (FIR) was subsequently filed by the Bandra Police against nine highly established individuals from Bollywood on allegations of rape and molestation earlier this month, according to media reports.
3. The FIR copy has named Bollywood actor Jackky Bhagnani and eight others including prominent photographer Colston Julian, Kwan Entertainment’s co-founder Anirban Das Blah, who has reportedly been accused of sexual assault in 2018. The co-founder of the talent management agency was named in the #MeToo movement by as many as four women. Others named in the FIR are Krishan Kumar, Nikhil Kamat, Sheel Gupta, Ajit Thakur, Gurujyot Singh, and Vishnu Wardhan Induri.
4. According to the survivor, apart from being molested and harassed in the hands of these men, she was allegedly raped by Colston Julian on multiple occasions between 2014 and 2018.
5. The model also alleged that she was raped and molested on different occasions by others.
6. Speaking to Mid-day, she said that the FIR was registered quite a few days after the complaint was filed, and to date, no arrests have been made.
7. As per the report, the accuser had approached Maheshwar Reddy, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Zone 10, on May 10, who then asked her to meet a police officer at Andheri Police station to record the statement. Finally, her statement was recorded on May 18 and the matter went to DCP Zone 9 office in Bandra because most of the alleged sexual abuse incidents had taken place in Bandra between 2012 and 2019, according to a report in Times of India. Based on her recorded statement, the FIR was registered under under Sections 376 (n) (commits rape repeatedly on the same woman) and 354 (molestation) of the Indian Penal Code on May 26.
8. The complainant said that she has submitted evidence against her alleged abusers, still, the police are delaying the arrest of the accused. Reacting to the allegations, Colston Julian’s lawyer, Ravina Rajpal, said in a statement, “It is a false case, we will cooperate with the authorities concerned in all ways possible. The matter is pending investigation and is sub judice. We are also exploring legal remedies including defamation in due course.”
9. According to a senior officer investigating the case, the police is currently “collecting the pieces of evidence that the survivor claims to possess against [the accused]” and that their “investigations are underway.” A woman police officer has already accompanied the complainant to visit the locations in Mumbai, where she had been allegedly sexually assaulted.
10. The survivor accused Julian of going underground as his Bandra house was locked and his car was not there when they visited his home. Also, Bhagnani is reportedly not in India at the moment and will return to Mumbai in September.
Feature Image Credit: Cinema Express