Chinese influencer drinks pesticide on Livestream: China’s Luo Xiao Mao Mao Zi passed away while being treated for poisoning due to pesticide on October 15. Zi, a popular influencer on the app Douyin, a Chinese version of TikTok, had ingested a pesticide-laced drink during a Livestream on October 14, while some of her followers allegedly encouraged her.
*Trigger Warning: This article contains details about an incident of self-harm.
It is said that 25-year-old Zi had called the police and an ambulance for herself after ingesting pesticide and was rushed to a hospital for treatment, but passed away the next day.
Here are 10 things to know about Luo Xiao Mao Mao Zi’s shocking death which has raised questions on the influencer culture:
1. Luo Xiao Mao Mao Zi had over 678,000 followers on Douyin.
2. Before the Livestream, the 25-year-old had uploaded a video declaring that it was “probably (her) last video”.
3. She also revealed in the video that she had been dealing with depression for quite some time now and that it had resulted in hospitalisation for more than two months.
4. Screenshots of the Livestream circulating online show Zi holding a bottle of beverage containing pesticides, while her live viewers reportedly encouraged her to drink it quickly.
5. According to a friend of the deceased influencer, Zi wasn’t planning to end her life but wanted to gain the attention of her former boyfriend.
6. Zi too had spoken about not being able to get over her boyfriend in some of her previous videos. She said that she felt depressed sometimes due to it.
7. However, the influencer’s family has rejected the claims that she ended her life due to her ex.
8. Zi’s family has blamed the viewers who encouraged her to drink the pesticide “quickly” for her death.
9. The influencer’s friend said they hoped that people who had caused her death indirectly would come forward and apologise.
10. According to Today Online, Zi’s body has been cremated now.
Chinese Influencer Dies After Drinking Pesticide During Livestream
Who Was Paige Rice? Influencer Killed In Car Crash Days Soon After Talking About Her Death
Shilpa Shetty, Raj Kundra File Rs 50 Crore Defamation Suit Against Sherlyn Chopra