Who is Sonam Malik? The Tokyo Olympic bound wrestler is recovering from an injury that had sidelined her in the last few months.
The 19-year-old wrestler opened up about her injury and told Hindustan Times, “The injury was difficult, but I didn’t lose patience, I kept fighting hard. Even after trailing by a big margin, I was sure of winning in the qualifying event.”
Sonam Malik further added, “I want to stay humble. People will automatically start talking about me when I come back with an Olympic medal around my neck.”
Ajmer Malik, her coach, said, “It’s good nobody is watching her now. Let her start as an underdog. I am sure about her podium finish. Her wins against Sakhi are not a fluke. She is capable of springing a surprise on many.”
Who is Sonam Malik?
- Malik is a 19-year-old Indian wrestler from Sonipat, Haryana.
- Malik’s father and cousin had influenced Sonam’s decision of coming into wrestling.
- Later, she was coached by Coach Ajmer Malikat at the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Sports Complex in her village.
- In the World Cadet Wrestling Championship, Malik had won two Gold medals.
- Sonam Malik has a special relationship with Sakshi Malik. Sonam idolises Sakshi as a wrestler. Sonam had defeated her idol, 2016 Rio Olympics bronze medallist Sakshi Malik twice in 2016. The first match was in Asian Championship and the second one was in Asian Olympic Qualifiers in February.
- In the same year, she made a podium finish with gold in National School Games.
- In the next year, 2017, in Cadet National Championship, Malik scored a silver and then gold in World School Games.
- Sonam Malik had sustained an injury in her shoulder in 2017. She has been healing from that injury for one-and-half years.
- Malik sponsored by the Olympic Gold Quest. It is a non-profit working to help Indian athletes. She is now preparing for Tokyo Olympics.