Whitney Wolfe Herd: Whitney Wolf Herd started her own dating application after she sued Tinder.
Now she has finally made her company public in the US stock market by raising $2.2 billion dollars. Her dating app, Bumble positions itself as female-friendly.
According to a report, the dating app had aimed at a target of selling 34.5 million shares then went on to sell 45 million shares. This hiked the value of Herd’s company which jumped from its earlier value of $3 billion in 2019 to $8.2 billion now.
Here is everything we know of Whitney Wolfe Herd:
- Whitney Wolfe Herd is the founder and CEO of Bumble, the dating app which positions itself as female-friendly.
- Whitney started her first business when she was just 19 years old. But she did not just act as a practical businesswoman but also a woman who understood sustainability and cared for nature deeply. After the BP oil spill, she started making bamboo tote bags to help those affected by the spill.
- Founded in December 2014, Whitney became Forbes’s America’s richest self-made woman at the position of 39.
- Whitney Wolfe Herd claims to have co-founded the dating app Tinder in 2012. Tinder further became a geosocial networking platform and an online dating application. According to Whitney, she is the one who came up with the name, Tinder.
- Two years in the venture with Hatch labs’ Tinder, Whitney left the company. She also put a case against the company of sexual harassment. The case went to court and Whitney was awarded a $1 million settlement as well as stock in the company.
- Chappy is a UK based gay dating app that is co-founded by Jack Rogers, Max Cheremkin, and Ollie Locke. this application is supported by Wolfe and is also primarily funded by her dating app.
- In an interview with the Times of London, Wolfe stated, “It’s anxiety about everything. I worry about awful things happening to people I love. They say phones are a strong catalyst for making anxiety worse, so I have this interesting balance — how do I make sure I’m on top of everything, but also preserve my mental health?”
- On a skiing trip in December 2013, Wolfe met Michael Herd. The couple dated and decided to get married in 2017.
- Wolfe has a baby that she delivered in December 2019.