Who is Sonal Bhuchar? An elementary school in the US state of Texas will be named after an Indian-American physiotherapist Sonal Bhuchar, celebrating her significant contribution to the sectors of education and philanthropy. The Board of Trustees in Fort Bend Independent School District (FBISD) have decided to naming upcoming elementary school 53 after Bhuchar, who died of cancer at the age of 58 in 2019. The school is expected to open in the Riverstone community in January 2023.
The Board unanimously approves the Naming New Elementary 53 – Sonal S. Bhuchar Elementary School.
— Fort Bend ISD (@FortBendISD) March 30, 2021
Here are five things to know about the Indian-American physiotherapist:
1. Bhuchar was a professional physiotherapist who originally hailed from Mumbai. She immigrated to Houston in 1984 with her husband, Subodh Bhuchar.
2. She made a name for her herself as a popular community activist and a leader. She was elected to the Fort Bend ISD Board of Trustees for six years and served as the Board President for two years.
3. In 2015, Texas Governor Greg Abbot appointed the Indian-American to the One Star National Service Commission Board. Over the years, she volunteered and oversaw administration of the AmeriCorps programmes in the US state of Texas.
What makes Indian-American Physiotherapist Sonal Bhuchar so inspiring. Who is Sonal Bhuchar and what’s her story?
4. At the FBISD board, Bhuchar worked on several initiatives, including the Student Leadership Programme, the Legislative Advocacy Programme, and spread her legacy in education and philanthropy through the Fort Bend Education Foundation’s Annual International Festival, WATCH-a lifestyle education programme and scholarship opportunities for students in the district.
5. After her long association with the Fort Bend Education Foundation, Bhuchar passed away due to cancer complications in 2019. She was 58 years old. Before her untimely death, she was actively involved with many nonprofit and local organisations, including Child Advocates of Fort Bend, the Literacy Council of Fort Bend, AccessHealth, Sugar Land Cultural Arts Foundation and the Texas Medical Association Alliance, among others. “Sonal Bhuchar was a physical therapist by profession and had her own practice,” the biography further adds.
The school district’s biography on her reads: “Sonal Bhuchar is best described as a trailblazer for Fort Bend County and a leader in the field of education. She was a selfless volunteer and public servant who was always looking out for our students.”