who is Rupa Gurunath?: Rupa Gurunath, the president of Tamil Nadu Cricket Association, has been found guilty of ‘conflict of interest’, by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)’s ethics officer Justice DK Jain, on Thursday.
She has allegedly gone against the rules of the BCCI, by holding the full-time position, of the director of India Cements Limited that owns the IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings.
“In my order, I have said that there is a conflict of interest as defined in the constitution. I have found that there is a conflict of interest as defined in the constitution and it’s not that because of holding only one post but basically link with the franchise. She is India Cements Ltd’s director. Now BCCI will decide further things,” DK Jain told ANI.
A plea regarding the matter was issued by Sanjay Gupta, a whistleblower, who has previously listed, similar such cases. He had filed this complaint on November 23, 2020, and the last hearing was held on May 22 this year. BCCI never appeared for any of the hearings.
Who is Rupa Gurunath?:
- Rupa Gurunath is the daughter of an Indian industrialist, former president of the BCCI, and former chairman of the ICC, N. Srinivasan.
- She has completed her PG diploma in computer science.
- She is married to Gurunath Meiyappan, a former official of Chennai Super Kings. However, he was subsequently banned from involving himself in cricket. This happened after his role in the 2013 IPL betting scandal, came to light.
- In 2019, Rupa Gurunath was elected as the president of the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA), during the association’s 87th Annual General Meeting. She is the first woman who has been elected as TNCA president. She has never served in any administrative position, in cricket before.
- Her father, N. Srinivasan was found guilty of the same offence, as his daughter. He was barred from contesting for any BCCI elections, about six years ago, as per reports.