Actress Poonam Pandey was arrested earlier today by the Goa Police for shooting an obscene video at the Chakoli dam site in Canacona. The arrest came just a few days after pictures of her provocative photoshoot appeared on social media. The FIR was filed by the local opposition party, ‘Goa Forward’ that alleged that she had participated in a ‘porn photoshoot’ on the Goa government’s Water Resources Department, according to DNA. This is not the first time that the actress and model has been embroiled in controversy before.
Pandey began her career as a model when she became one of the top nine models of the Gladrags Manhunt and Megamodel contest. She made her acting debut with the 2013 film ‘Nasha’, where she plays a teacher who has an intimate relationship with her student.
- During the World Cup of 2011, when India reached the finals, she shot to instant fame when she claimed that she would strip naked if India won the World Cup. However, that promise remained unfulfilled because BCCI did not grant permission for the same.
- Later that same year, a morphed nude photo of her along side Sachin Tendulkar, whose head was morphed on Lord Vishnu’s body, started making rounds of the internet. Pandey was booked under Section 295A (deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
- Her video series, ‘My Bathroom Secrets’ was the reason for another controversy, taking the internet by storm. Some of them were banned by YouTube because of their objectionable content.
- In 2012, Pandey made headlines again when she said that she’d strip naked if KKR won the IPL that year. The Kolkata Knight Riders won that year and she posted a nude photo online, even trending worldwide on Twitter according to a report by The Indian Express.
- The film posters of her debut ‘Nasha’ were burned by a few political organisations, calling them ‘vulgar’ and ‘obscene’.
- In 2017, Pandey launched her app called ‘The Poonam Pandey App’, which was soon taken down from the Google play store because of its objectionable content. She made it available on her own website for download soon after. This year, she accused businessman Raj Kundra and his company ‘Armsprime Media’, which was responsible for managing her app, of using her content illegally even after their contract had expired.
- After getting married to her long-time partner, Sam Bombay, she had filed a case of assault and molestation against him within 13 days of their marriage. They reportedly patched things up and are now back together, according to this report by Times of India.