Humanity wins over Virus: Doctor Shirin Rouhani we salute you
Man can never be a woman’s equal in the spirit of selfless service with which nature has endowed her – Mahatma Gandhi. Well in many ways such is the story of Iranian Doctor Shirin Rouhani who died while treating patients of coronavirus.
At a time when everyone is sitting at home with their families in quarantine or exercising social distancing trying to battle coronavirus that has gripped the world, some medical professionals are leaving no stone unturned to ensure that humanity wins over the deadly virus. One such woman who has amazed the world with her selflessness is Iranian doctor Shirin Rouhani who got infected while treating coronavirus patients but that didn’t deter her from performing her job religiously. Unfortunately, she passed away last week. Dr. Shirin Rouhani was a physician and general practitioner of Shohada Hospital in Iran.
Who Is Shirin Rouhani?
- A coronawarrior
- A physician and general practitioner of Shohada Hospital in Iran.
- Died while treating coronavirus patients
- Garnered praise from citizens across the world
- Epitome of selflessness and courage
A lot of people took to social media to praise her for her altruistic efforts.
Medical professionals in India
With the surge in coronavirus positive cases in the country, the central government in India too is taking some important measures to contain the virus as soon as possible.
- In a statement posted on Niti Aayog’s website, the government appealed to retired government, Armed Forces Medical Services, public sector undertaking or a private doctor to join the efforts of the government in containing the virus.
- The Government of India is also requesting for volunteer doctors. They need to be fit and willing to lend their services in public health facilities and training hospitals
- COVID-19 ‘train hospitals’ are also being created in this regard
- The Indian Navy recently flew a team of four doctors from Goa. They will undergo training for testing COVID-19 samples in Pune.
- Safety of these professionals is another challenge the government is facing
Problems faced by medical professionals
While treating coronavirus patients while ensuring person safety is a challenge, another problem that they have to face is social stigma. A lot of people are shunning them for fear of being infected. A lot of them are being evicted from their societies and apartments.
“I want to urge people to not discriminate. There have been incidents where doctors and nurses along with their families have face the discrimination. We all stood when the Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked to clap for their services but now we are discriminating against these same people,” said Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.
As doctors, who are working day and night to save lives, circumstances like these can be extremely difficult. Some lose their life, some burnout. Some have severe mental health issues. The physical and emotional demands of the job can be overwhelming. This is why we must make all efforts to celebrate people who are losing lives, doing everything they can to make things work for humanity.
“Wherever the art of Medicine is loved, there is also a love of Humanity. ”