Vladimir Putin daughters were accused of hiding the Russian President's assets by the US government. Biden led government made Putin's daughters the new target for scrutinising the Russian President in its sanctions on the country.
Russian President Vladimir Putin's daughters, Katerina Tekhonova and Maria Vorontsova became new targets of US scrutiny of Putin. The daughters were blamed for hiding their father's assets and working for the Russian government closely and their work is overseen by their father and Russian President himself. However, the Russian President has always denied the involvement of his family in politics.
Putin's daughters were mentioned in US sanctions on Russia which mentioned many personal statements about the Putin family as a part of raging economical war against Russia in form of sanctions along with UK, Europian Union and Ukraine.
Vladimir Putin Daughters Accused Of Hiding His Assets: 10 Things To Know
- In its latest sanctions on Russia released on April 6, US has claimed that Putin's two daughters, Maria and Katerina are involved in hiding their father's assets.
- Katerina Tikhonova, born in 1986, and Maria Vorontsova, born in 1985, were daughters of the Russian President from his ex wife Lyudmila who he divorced in 2013.
- President Putin has kept his personal life and relations a secret from the world and has never addressed the two as his daughters in public. The two ladies have not addressed him as father in public as well.
- Katerina is famous on YouTube as an acrobatic rock 'n' roll dancer and has posted videos from various international competitions as well. She is now Institute for Mathematical Research of Complex Systems's deputy director that is a part of Moscow University.
- Maria Vorontsova had competed her studies in biology and medicine from St Petersburg University and Moscow State University respectively and is currently engaged in genetics work.
- US officials reportedly said that the Katerina works for the defence industry of the Russian government as a tech executive and Maria heads genetic research programs that are funded by the Russian government that Putin oversees.
- They also mentioned the daughter's spouses being involved in the act. As per a report, Katerina married Kirill Shamalov who is the son of Putin's close friend and Bank Rossiya shareholder, Nikolai Shamalov. Their estimated worth was calculated to be 2 billion dollars. US mentioned Kirill in the sanctions.
- Maria, on the other hand, was reported to be married to a Ducth businessman who worked for the lender Gazprombank which was very closely linked to the Russian government. However, there was no information about their assets and were reported to be separated later.
- Meanwhile, Russian government critic Alexei Navalny has urged that there be sanctions against Alina Kabaeva, gymnast and Putin's alleged second wife and the mother of his two youngest children.
- Russian government reacted on Thursday, April 7 and described the US government accusations as absurd and 'difficult to understand and explain'. "In any case, the ongoing line on imposing restrictions against family members speaks for itself." said spokesman Dimitri Peskov.