UN Asks For Proof From UAE That Sheikha Latifa Is Alive

Dubai Princess Sheikha Latifa ,Princess Latifa ,Sheikha Latifa ,Latifa Al Maktoum
Sheikha Latifa: UN Human Rights Office asks for proof from UAE that the Dubai ruler’s daughter is alive.

The mysterious case of Dubai Princess Sheikha Latifa has unfurled again after her video, claiming that she is being held against her will in a barricaded villa, surfaced in public. A recent development in the case took place on Friday when the UN Human Rights Office stated that it has asked the United Arab Emirates for proof that Latifa is still alive following ‘disturbing’ video footage.

The office had reportedly spoken to the UAE’s diplomatic mission in Geneva on Thursday. Liz Throssell, the spokesperson on UNHRO told an online briefing, “We did raise the case yesterday with the permanent mission here in Geneva. We did ask for proof of life.”

She further added, “We raised our concerns about the situation in light of the disturbing video evidence that emerged this week and requested for more information and clarification about Sheikha Latifa’s current situation. We look forward to receiving and considering this response, and in the meantime, of course, we will continue to monitor and assess the situation closely.”

This comes after the BBC aired a self-shot footage of Sheikha Latifa, in which the daughter of Dubai’s ruler and UAE’s Vice President and Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum claimed that she was being held captive and feared for her life.

The princess has not been seen in public since she attempted to escape from the emirate by sea and was caught by Indian authorities in December 2018.

BBC alleged that the clips it had broadcast were filmed roughly a year after the princess was captured and taken back to Dubai. In the video, she can be seen crouching in a corner of what she says is a bathroom. The undated videos were aired as Latifa’s friends raised genuine concern that they are no longer receiving messages from her, as reported by BBC. In one video, she can be seen saying that she doesn’t know if she’s “going to survive this situation.”

A government source had later said she had been brought back and even released photographs of hers, saying she was receiving “the necessary care and support”. However, Latifa refuted and said in the video that she was imprisoned for three months in the Al-Awir central prison in Dubai, before being moved to the villa.Read more about Sheikha Latifa’s case here.

We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.

By proceeding, you are agreeing to our Terms of Service .View our FAQs and Support page .