Tashnuva Anan Shishir: Model and social worker Tashnuva Anan Shishir is all set to become the first transgender woman news presenter in Bangladesh.
To mark International Women’s Day, Shishir will present news on March 8 for the first time on a private news channel named Boishakshi Television. During an interview, Shishir expressed how overwhelmed she feels because of the new opportunity. She said, “I cannot express how overwhelming this is, for myself and my community. Individuals from my community have been bullied and harassed for long, and only exposure like this can help create room for the development of our people in the society.”
Shishir said that she went through the same selection process as everyone opting for the news presenter position but Boishakhi TV chose her. Along with Shishir, Boishakhi selected another transgender woman in its entertainment department who will be starred in a drama series named Chapabaz.
Here’s what we know of Tashnuva Anan Shishir:
- Shishir has been awarded a scholarship to pursue higher education in two categories. One for Master if Public Health (MPH) and James P Grant School of Public Health (JPGSPH), Brac University.
- Tashnuva came out as transgender when she was in her twenties. It was then she started doing social work in Bangladesh.
- She has also been an active member of a theatre group called BotTala and is all set to star in two upcoming movies, Koshai and Goal.
- Before becoming a news presenter, Shishir used to work as a Case Management Officer at Ovibashi Karmi Unnayan Program( OKUP) and has also worked as a project officer at Bandhu Social Welfare Society.
- She has been involved with many such organisations such as A Feminist Network, Bangladesh Youth Leadership Center and others.