On Saturday, Pope Francis broke off the traditions by electing a woman for the senior synod post. Pope Francis appointed sister Nathalie Becquart as one of the under-Secretaries to the General Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops.
Here are eight things to know about Sister Nathalie Becquart-
8 Things To Know About Nathalie Becquart
- Nathalie Becquart was born in 1969 in Fontainebleau, France.
- Becquart procured a master's degree in management from HEC Paris. She studied theology and philosophy at the Centre Sévres of Paris and sociology at the School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences (EHESS).
- Sister Becquart specialised in ecclesiology at Boston College and did her research on synodality.
- She took a theology and philosophy course at St. Joseph Jesuit University while working as a volunteer teacher in Beirut, Lebanon.
- Sister Becquart worked as a consultant in an advertising and marketing agency for non-governmental organisations and Chrisitan groups in Paris post which she joined the Xavières sisters, Missionaries of Jesus Christ in France in the year 1995.
- Nathalie Becquart played a huge role in the preparation for the 2018 Synod of Bishops on young people. She played a role of a speaker, coordinator of the pre-synod, and observer at the synod.
- From 2012 to 2018, Sister Becquart was director of the national office for youth evangelization and vocations at the french Bishops' conference.
- Recently, Pope Francis appointed sister Nathalie Becquart as one of the under-Secretaries to the General Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops.