Tennis ace Serena Williams lost to Victoria Azarenka in the US Open semifinals. The American sportstar revealed that a left Achilles injury is bothering her. Now Williams has withdrawn from the upcoming WTA clay-court tournament Italian Open, beginning Monday, the organisers announced on Saturday.

The four-time champion needed medical attention for a tape job on her Achilles during her three-set loss on Thursday. Unfortunately, fans will not see Williams competing in Paris this year. She came close to breaking Margaret Court’s all-time grand slam record.

Azarenka, however, is looking forward to another battle and was drawn to play a two-time US Open champion, Venus Williams, in the first round.

What You Should Know

  • Serena Williams withdraws from Italian Open that begins on Monday in Rome due to a left Achilles strain.
  • Williams, chasing her record-tying 24th Grand Slam crown, lost to Victoria Azarenka in three sets on Thursday in the US Open semifinals.
  • Williams, a mother of one girl, returned to the court after a six-month break.

The 38-year-old Williams still has an impressive number of records to her name. At the US Open, she surpassed Chris Evert’s previous record for most singles wins in the history of the tournament, male or female. She won her 102nd US Open career match to break a tie with Evert for the most wins in the professional era.

“I regretfully must withdraw from the (Italian Open) due to an Achilles strain,” Williams said in a statement. “I’m so humbled by the continuous support from my fans in Rome and I look forward to making my return soon.”

When she took a medical timeout to treat her Achilles injury at the US Open last week, she said after the match, “I just was stretching. I ran for a shot, and off that first step that I took, it was a long point. It wasn’t my ankle, it was actually my Achilles. It just overstretched. It was pretty intense. Then that was that.”

Also Read: First Time In Grand Slam History Three Moms Serena, Victoria and Tsvetana Qualify For Quarterfinals

Serena Williams to play 2020 French Open

Williams is now preparing for the French Open which begins in two weeks. According to Australian tennis great Todd Woodbridge, after Williams’ US Open exit it’s harder for the tennis ace to equal the elusive Court’s record of 24 slams. “She’s still got the opportunity, she’s still going to go after it, but watching over the last few weeks, I don’t think she’s going to get there,” Woodbridge said on Sports Sunday.

She has lost her past four major finals and has been failing to win a major since bagging her 23rd at the Australian Open in January 2017. “I don’t know. I mean, it’s obviously disappointing,” Williams told reporters before confirming she will participate in the French Open. “At the same time I did what I could today. I feel like other times I’ve been close and I could have done better. Today I felt like I gave a lot,” she added.

Feature Image Credit: Yahoo

Read More Stories By Ria Das

Get the best of SheThePeople delivered to your inbox - subscribe to Our Power Breakfast Newsletter. Follow us on Twitter , Instagram , Facebook and on YouTube, and stay in the know of women who are standing up, speaking out, and leading change.