Sasikala audio tapes spark speculations of politician’s comeback: Former AIADMK leader and close aide to late Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, VK Sasikala could be soon making a political comeback. In March this year, Sasikala had shocked her political adversaries and followers alike, when she announced that she would be stepping away from active politics. However, recently leaked phone conversations suggest that Sasikala has promised party cadres that she will soon take charge and set things “right” in the party.
Sasikala, who has previously worked as the interim general secretary of AIADMK, was ousted from the party in 2017. Currently the party founded by MG Ramachandran is witnessing differences between top leaders Edappadi K Palaniswami and O Panneerselvam. Palaniswami-led All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam lost the 2021 state assembly elections to Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam party last month. Could Sasikala’s possible come back be a result of this defeat?
Here are five things to know about VK Sasikala audio tapes, that hint at her comeback:
1. Sasikala has reportedly made calls to several key leaders in AIADMK recently, promising them that she would soon be making a political comeback.
2. According to a report, a source close to VK Sasikala says that she is considering options to make a comeback in coming three months. “She calls at least seven to 10 people on a daily basis… Her message to them was clear about her coming back.”
3. Other reports suggest that party coordinator O Paneerselvam too has reached out to Sasikala via his close associates.
4. In the leaked tapes, Sasikala can be heard telling various party members that she will “definitely come” and meet them all. “You are all with me, I don’t have any fear. We will strengthen the party together.”
5. Sasikala was released from jail in February this year, after serving a four-year term in a disproportionate assets case. The former Jayalalithaa aide contracted COVID-19 during the last leg of her prison term. After she was released from prison, she was admitted to a Bengaluru hospital for COVID-19 treatment. In March, after many speculations, Sasikala wrote a letter to her followers and members of AIADMK, announcing her departure from active politics. “I thank all followers and supporters of Amma,” she wrote, further adding, ” I have never gone after power or prestige”. Read more about the letter here.
Image Credit: NDTV