Priyanka Gandhi enters politics, debuts with a role in Uttar Pradesh
In a major development in Indian politics, Priyanka Gandhi has taken up an official role within the Congress party. She will now be incharge of Uttar Pradesh East and take charge from February. Priyanka Gandhi for the longest time has stayed away from officially engaging with the party or taking up any role.
Thus far she has only campaigned but not in official roles. For many years, people within the Congress party have believed Priyanka Gandhi was ideal to join politics but she has thus far resisted.
This moved comes ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha elections. She will be AICC general secretary for Uttar Pradesh East.
Here are seven things you should know about Priyanka Gandhi Vadra:
- The younger Gandhi sibling is a Delhi University alumna and a postgraduate in Buddhist studies.
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra was homeschooled, following her grandmother’s assassination.
- Gandhi, who often caught the media attention for her striking resemblance to grandmother Indira is known for striking an emotional chord with the masses.
- In 2004, during the Lok Sabha election, she was her mother Sonia Gandhi’s campaign manager.
- Priyanka Gandhi is a follower of Buddhism.
- Gandhi is married to Robert Vadra who is a businessman based in Delhi. The couple has two children.
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra also serves as Trustee of Rajiv Gandhi Foundation.
Since the news about her talking an active role in congress party came out social media has been abuzz with reactions:
— Sagarika Ghose (@sagarikaghose) January 23, 2019
The headline on #PriyankaGandhi misses the mark if it doesn't underline UP East, where she will run the party campaign- stronghold of PM Modi in varanasi and CM Yogi in Gorakhpur. This is a risky but bold frontal challenge and the Congress making a big statement
— barkha dutt (@BDUTT) January 23, 2019
Many many congratulations!!! This is so brilliant from @INCIndia President @RahulGandhi ji. Welcoming Priyanka Gandhi Vadra ji as Incharge UP East! Congratulations @JM_Scindia ji! @kcvenugopalmp ji & @ghulamnazad ji wishing you best in your new role! Game on! pic.twitter.com/BCoIw1pAso
— Priyanka Chaturvedi (@priyankac19) January 23, 2019
It will be a baptism by fire for Priyanka Gandhi. Modi-Yogi are very strong in Eastern UP. Is the intention tying them down a bit by making them spend more time campaigning here?
— Vikram Chandra (@vikramchandra) January 23, 2019
The story isn’t just that Priyanka Gandhi is formally entering politics. It is that she has chosen the one region most tough for Congress: Eastern UP where she directly takes on Modi & Yogi. This kind of go-for-broke risk-taking is uncharacteristic of Cong/Gandhi family
— Shekhar Gupta (@ShekharGupta) January 23, 2019
One of the most awaited entries in Indian politics is finally here! While people may debate the timing, exact role and position, to me, the real news is that she finally decided to take the plunge! Congratulations and best wishes to Priyanka Gandhi.
— Prashant Kishor (@PrashantKishor) January 23, 2019