Priyanka Gandhi enters politics, debuts with a role in Uttar Pradesh
In a major development in Indian politics, Priyanka Gandhi has taken up an official role within the Congress party. She will now be incharge of Uttar Pradesh East and take charge from February. Priyanka Gandhi for the longest time has stayed away from officially engaging with the party or taking up any role.
Thus far she has only campaigned but not in official roles. For many years, people within the Congress party have believed Priyanka Gandhi was ideal to join politics but she has thus far resisted.
This moved comes ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha elections. She will be AICC general secretary for Uttar Pradesh East.
Here are seven things you should know about Priyanka Gandhi Vadra:
- The younger Gandhi sibling is a Delhi University alumna and a postgraduate in Buddhist studies.
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra was homeschooled, following her grandmother’s assassination.
- Gandhi, who often caught the media attention for her striking resemblance to grandmother Indira is known for striking an emotional chord with the masses.
- In 2004, during the Lok Sabha election, she was her mother Sonia Gandhi’s campaign manager.
- Priyanka Gandhi is a follower of Buddhism.
- Gandhi is married to Robert Vadra who is a businessman based in Delhi. The couple has two children.
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra also serves as Trustee of Rajiv Gandhi Foundation.