Nusrat Jahan invalid marriage: Actor-politician Nusrat Jahan Ruhi after much speculation made a shocking revelation that her marriage is not legal, valid and tenable in India. Jahan and Nikhil Jain got married in 2019. On Wednesday, the Trinamool Congress leader, in a long statement, has claimed since the two got married in Turkey her marriage with Jain was according to Turkish Law and is not valid in India. Now, Jain has also revealed that he has filed for an annulment in Kolkata.
The Trinamool Congress (TMC) was recently seen flaunting her baby bump in pictures shared by HT bangla. The photos seem to confirm the pregnancy rumours about Jahan, she is yet to announce it.
Nusrat Jahan invalid marriage: Here are 10 things to know
1. On the rumoured separation from her husband, Jahan clarified that she does not need divorce as their marriage is invalid in India.
2. The TMC MP has also alleged that her belongings, like family jewellery and other assets, have been “illegally held back”. She has made the allegation that her “funds were mishandled” from various accounts without her knowledge.
3. Dividing her statement into seven points, Jahan said that being held on foreign land, as per Turkish Marriage Regulation, the ceremony is invalid in the country. Moreover, since it was an interfaith marriage, it requires validation under the Special Marriage Act in India, which also did not happen.
Being on foreign land, as per Turkish Marriage Regulation, ceremony is invalid. It was interfaith marriage, it requires validation under Special Marriage Act, which didn't happen. As per Court of Law, it's not marriage but relationship/live-in: Nusrat Jahan, TMC issues statement pic.twitter.com/c9gi82vg8r
— ANI (@ANI) June 9, 2021
4. Jahan further explained that as per the court of law, it is not a marriage, but a relationship or a live-in relationship. “Thus, the question of divorce does not arise,” she claimed adding that she has long been separated from her husband. “I did not speak about it as I intended to keep my private life to myself,” mentioned the Bengali film actor who joined politics in 2019 and contested from Basirhat as a Trinamool Congress candidate.
5. There were speculations that Jahan’s alleged affair with SOS Kolkata co-star Yash Dasgupta led to a rift with her husband as they were also on a trip to Rajasthan recently. She said her visit to any place for business or for the purpose of leisure must not be questioned based on “separation”, by the media or individuals. “The alleged marriage is not legal, valid and tenable; and thus, was not a marriage at all in the eye of law,” she stressed. The case is sub judice in the court. You can read more about it here.
Thus the question of divorce does not arise. Our separation happened long back, but I did not speak about it as I intended to keep my private life to myself: TMC MP Nusrat Jahan issues a statement pic.twitter.com/9fWBy3KvJH
— ANI (@ANI) June 9, 2021
6. Jahan also stated that she has solely “borne the expenses for my sister’s education” and her family’s well-being, from day one, as they have been her responsibility. “Being “rich’ does not always give a man the right to act as a victim and belittle the woman alone, in this society,” she added.
7. Jahan went on to say that she has created her own “identity” by sheer hardwork, hence, she claimed she would not “allow anyone not related to me to share the limelight or a title or followers, based on my identity.”
8. Meanwhile, reacting to the news, Jain revealed to India Today that he has filed for an annulment in Kolkata, admitting that the two have been separated since November 2020. Earlier, there were reports of Nusrat’s pregnancy but her Jain had clarified that they have not been living together since the last one year.
9. The actor got married in an intimate ceremony in Turkey on June 19, 2019. The couple later hosted their wedding reception in Kolkata, which was attended by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and other famous personalities from the industry. You can read more about it here.
10. Today, the actor also shared a picture of herself and wrote, “I won’t be remembered as a woman who can keep her mouth shut… and I’m ok with that…. #throwbackpic #deserted #retrospective (sic).”
Feature Image Credit: Nusrat Jahan/Facebook