Michelle Obama’s memoir ‘Becoming‘ will finally be out on November 13. It is one of the most highly anticipated books in recent years.
The former US first lady tweeted on Sunday (Feb 25) that the book is called “Becoming”. By Sunday night, her memoir was in the top 20 on Amazon.com.
“Writing ‘Becoming’ has been a deeply personal experience,” Michelle Obama said in a statement. “It has allowed me, for the very first time, the space to honestly reflect on the unexpected trajectory of my life. In this book, I talk about my roots and how a little girl from the South Side of Chicago found her voice and developed the strength to use it to empower others.”
“I hope my journey inspires readers to find the courage to become whoever they aspire to be. I can’t wait to share my story,” she said.
Writing BECOMING has been a deeply personal experience. I talk about my roots and how a girl from the South Side found her voice. I hope my journey inspires readers to find the courage to become whoever they aspire to be. I can't wait to share my story. https://t.co/d7DxEG85NK
— Michelle Obama (@MichelleObama) February 25, 2018
Know some details about the book
- The deal is believed to be well in excess of $30 million.
- ‘Becoming’ will be released in the US through the Crown Publishing Group. It is a Penguin Random House division that has published works by both Obamas.
- Michelle Obama’s memoir is expected to be a major commercial and cultural event.
- The book will be published simultaneously in 24 languages, from Swedish to Arabic. Michelle Obama expects to promote ‘Becoming’ in the US and overseas.
- She will also narrate the audio version. According to Crown, Obama is working with a team of assistants. However, every word in the finished text will be hers.
“As first lady of the United States of America, the first African-American to serve in that role, she helped create the most welcoming and inclusive White House in history, while also establishing herself as a powerful advocate for women and girls in the US and around the world,” Crown said in a statement.
Michelle Obama’s book will chronicle her life from a childhood growing up on Chicago’s South Side through her years inside the White House as a mother of two and the nation’s first African-American first lady, the publisher said.